Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Notes from the WF finish line
Quote | Reply
Although I did not compete at Wildflower this year due to business obligations, my Expo booth was in a great location to observe the the last 25 yards of this difficult event. Regarding the Pro's, Bjorn - despite duking it out with Chris Legh - looked fresh in comparison to Becky LaVelle who had a big lead over 2nd place. It looked like she was running totally on empty. Along with the other ST'ers I was cheering for Bjorn as every update came over the PA system.

Once the AG'ers started finishing en mass, I quickly came to the conclusion that it is time for USAT/WF to crack down on the "extra" people drug across the finish line for safety reasons, if nothing else. The finishing chute is fairly long and narrow at WF and starts at the end of a long downhill so finishing speed can vary greatly depending on fitness, competitiveness, wave starts, etc. Some people are in an all out sprint while others are just shuffling to the line. In the midst of all this, people are stopping to pick up one or more children, dogs (yes, dogs!) and hand slaps from spectators. I also saw people running three abreast, stride for stride totally blocking the chute for those behind. And several young children came close to being trampled right in front of me.

I know finish line etiquette has been a topic of numerous discussions on ST regarding IM events, but, trust me, WF took it - or lack there of - to another level. Any race with wave starts - especially the 25 waves per race at WF - should not allow any outside interference period with the risk of being DQed. Otherwise, people are going to get hurt.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: Notes from the WF finish line [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"looked fresh in comparison to Becky LaVelle who had a big lead over 2nd place. It looked like she was running totally on empty"

I'll beg to differ, she looks to be working hard during the run but looks pretty damm good at the finish!

Quote Reply
Re: Notes from the WF finish line [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I was finished Sunday, I keep hearing the announcers making supporting comments about racers taking family, etc with them across the
finish line. Never would this cross my mind in a race. I am flat out 100% until the end.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Notes from the WF finish line [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should have carried your tires across, would have made a memorable ST photo :)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Notes from the WF finish line [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn, wish I would have thought of that. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Notes from the WF finish line [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think they'd leave the tires in a family staging area near the finish?
Quote Reply