Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

position 3 vs 4 on qrings..can you tell and if so
Quote | Reply
what advantages or dis.....feel like? just curiuos
Quote Reply
Re: position 3 vs 4 on qrings..can you tell and if so [swaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally tell, riding steep I felt like I dropped to quickly through my main power portion fo the pedal stroke in the 3 position. Moved to 4 and now they are awesome. You really have to just play around with it yourself though but yes a HUGE difference (the difference between keeping them and selling them to a friend) in 3 to 4 for me.
Quote Reply
Re: position 3 vs 4 on qrings..can you tell and if so [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pondering the same question - I'm thinking of playing with the position a little to improve climbing while standing (road bike setup). Anybody out there tried a few different positions with an eye on how things felt during standing climbs?

My completely non-thought out guess is that going to position 4 will improve climbing while standing, but may not be as good as position 3 for seated climbing, sound right?

-Zach
Quote Reply
Re: position 3 vs 4 on qrings..can you tell and if so [swaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I reccomend the following baseline OCP settings for these three types of events:

#2 or #3 for ultra (double centuries, RAAM)
#3 for road
#3 or 4 for TT/Tri

(I use #3 for road, #4 for TT)

For forward positioned TT and tri bikes, start with the outer Q-Ring OCP #3 setting for two weeks, then try the #4 setting and see how it feels. Each rider has different needs and preferences ... one of the best features of Q-Rings is that the OCP system (multi-position bolt holes) are designed to suit your individual riding habits, body geometry, strength and position on the bike.
As each cyclist has a different pedaling style, the point at which they reach their max force potential is different. Those of us who have done a spinscan will be familiar with these variations.

OCP System Position three (3) is most frequently often used as the basic Q-Rings orientation. To find out which orientation is best for you, we suggest you try the following: Find a flat section of road, and ride a few minutes using 53/15. After a few minutes, switch to 39/11. Then shift back and forth a few times. You will likely begin to notice that one of the chainring combinations feels more comfortable or more fluid than the other. (If you frequently ride in hilly terrain, it is a good idea to repeat this test using 53/23 and 39/17 while climbing, and remember your impressions both on the flat and in the hilly sections).

If you preferred the inner chainring, we suggest that you try setting both the chainrings to a position one OCP number higher, to test this setting. If you preferred the outer chainring, we suggest that you try the Q-Rings at an OCP orientation one number lower. To go further: If you preferred the inner chainring on the hills and the outer chainring on the flats, we suggest you try the following steps one at a time: experiment riding with the inner chainring at position 3 or 4 and/or the outer in position 3 or 2. This type of experimentation is the easiest way to find your personal Optimal Chainring Position setup.

Setting 5 is an extreme setting, and we only advise this position be used when you constantly stand up directly over the bars on the chainring you wish to use that at setting.

Setting 4 would likely be better for this style of aggressive standing riding, including those with a low spinscan and people whose seat is very far forward.
Last edited by: gtingley: May 8, 07 6:02
Quote Reply
Re: position 3 vs 4 on qrings..can you tell and if so [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary - I am installing my rings this week...compact 50/36. I ride a tri bike and use the big chain ring 80-90% of the time. I only use the small ring on larger hills and when riding extended periods into a strong headwind. Initial OCP setting of #4 for both rings???

Thanks in advance!

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Re: position 3 vs 4 on qrings..can you tell and if so [Keyser_Soze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect you may use compact chainrings because you climb quite a bit, or steep/long hills, on your tri bike. In this case, I suggest OCP#3 for the inner, and #4 for the outer
Quote Reply
Re: position 3 vs 4 on qrings..can you tell and if so [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Gary,

Just PM you about a internacional order...

Lourenco

Lourenço
Quote Reply
Re: position 3 vs 4 on qrings..can you tell and if so [Lourenco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well the inside was already at 4..the outside i changed from 3 to4 ..maybe ill notice something on the big ring now that it is at 4 instaed of 3???????????????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you not do performance tests to determine which setting produces the better performance? Human sensing mechanisms are notoriously poorly calibrated.
Quote Reply