Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vancouver Peeps - STAY OFF THE PITT BRIDGE
Quote | Reply
On Sunday a close friend was knocked off her bike while cycling this damn bridge...few broken ribs, bruising and road rash - tough gal she is she'll be back soon.....now for my rant heading East on this bridge has got to be one of the most dangerous spots to ride in the lower main land - my only surprise is that more of us aren't taken out by the agressive driving / speeding on the bridge deck. I urge you to take the time to use the pedestrian walkway on the other side of the bridge or better yet drive to the Esso on the other side of the bridge and start your ride from there...what ever you do stay the hell off this death trap.
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver Peeps - STAY OFF THE PITT BRIDGE [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just moved to the area and have done a bunch of rides out that way and always wondered why they have a sidewalk on the other side, but not the Eastbound side? It doesn't make any sense and always is a bit scary crossing it. Luckily most of my rides have been early morning with very little traffic going across that way.

Glad your friend didn't get hurt too bad.

----
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver Peeps - STAY OFF THE PITT BRIDGE [VanCityJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the design of the bridge just plain sucks for both cycling and general traffic....having said that how much time is a life worth? ie if it takes an extra 5 mins to cross to use the pedestrian walkway but saves a life...

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sorry to hear about your friend. Hope that she gets better quickly.

Definitely a poor design. Like many other crossings ... Pitt bridge is downright awesome to ride across compared to Patullo bridge or Queensborough! But, basically, it's just too small for the volume of traffic that it's being asked to carry :(

I really don't think that crossing to the other side with all the associated wierd lane changes and merge back is a better option, though. That's just one place that I take a good chunk of space so that I have somewhere to go if a vehicle decides to come really close. Of course, bad things can still happen ... they do everywhere :(
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver Peeps - STAY OFF THE PITT BRIDGE [Miranda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like much of the road infrastructure that get's built in Nort America, there is absolutly no thought or consideration given to pedestrian or bike traffic. It's always an afterthought. It's assumed, that everyone who would ever use such a thing will always be driving a car. I don't agree, but that's the way it is.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That bridge is so narrow that I have never ridden across it except on the ped path (east side). IMHO there is no reason to be riding with traffic on the road on that bridge. People are driving 80kph plus (except during the rush) and there is no room. All you need is on truck or oversized vehicle and either you get crunched or you hold up traffic/piss drivers off even more.

But thanks again for the reminder.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the same on the Patullo, isn't it? Just the one sidewalk. Crazy. I wouldn't want to ride either!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver Peeps - STAY OFF THE PITT BRIDGE [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The challenge here is if you live in the Tri Cities area - (POCO, Coquitlam, Port Moody) at some point life you are going to ride out towards Pitt Meaddows, Maple Ridge , Mission - and the Pitt Bridge is the only crossing point - if i am heading out that way most of the time i skip the first 30 mins of riding and drive to the Esso...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my sympathy to your friend, here in hamilton NZ we have a similar bridge, the [somewhat oddly named] boundary road bridge in the centre of town.
it once was fine, one lane of traffic each way, and cycle lanes, allthough only one footpath.
then one day a year or so back to local authority decided that three lanes for cars was the go, noe no cycle lanes are present and we get cars three wide all pushing for space, aka, not a good place to be on a bike.
its a little disapointing to hear that other places are just as bad.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up on that one Shaun. As you know that is my planned destination so I appreciate the info. Are you likely to be in town third week in June? It would be good to meet up, maybe at one of the lakes for an ST swim/beer meet.

Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver Peeps - STAY OFF THE PITT BRIDGE [Miranda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you turn off on that last little road just before the bridge you can get to a paved path that goes under the end of the bridge and connects to the sidewalk. Once over the bridge you can cross back again at the next intersection with the signals. I know it's a diversion that shouldn't be necessary but if you are just out riding what's an extra few minutes?

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver Peeps - STAY OFF THE PITT BRIDGE [TomGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you turn off on that last little road just before the bridge you can get to a paved path that goes under the end of the bridge and connects to the sidewalk. Once over the bridge you can cross back again at the next intersection with the signals. I know it's a diversion that shouldn't be necessary but if you are just out riding what's an extra few minutes?

Tom

Are you talking about the main hwy intersection (with traffic signals)? It would be a fine way for me to go because I usually head down Dewdney Trunk anyways, not Lougheed.

----
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver Peeps - STAY OFF THE PITT BRIDGE [VanCityJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, although you can go that way you would have to turn left at the next intersection and that's not very safe either. The road I'm talking about is between there and the bridge, right at the parking lot for the Wild Duck Inn. The path runs between the river and the Duck.

Of course all this is likely to change in the near future as construction is supposed to start soon on the new bridge that will replace these two old low level bridges. I guess we will have to see how much the construction will screw things up once they get started.

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No, although you can go that way you would have to turn left at the next intersection and that's not very safe either. The road I'm talking about is between there and the bridge, right at the parking lot for the Wild Duck Inn. The path runs between the river and the Duck.

Of course all this is likely to change in the near future as construction is supposed to start soon on the new bridge that will replace these two old low level bridges. I guess we will have to see how much the construction will screw things up once they get started.

Tom
Got it, thanks for the tip!

And please tell me the new bridge is going to accomodate bikes?!

----
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver Peeps - STAY OFF THE PITT BRIDGE [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup - drop me a line - hard at it for IMC:-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Tom
That is the route we are taking - and you are right if i am out that way it means i am in for at least 2 hrs....so what's a 5 min diversion vs being hit??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES! About time you were coming back this way... ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be sure and do that, Shaun. Stay tuned.

Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver Peeps - STAY OFF THE PITT BRIDGE [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got that right, Andy. I am looking forward to trying one or two if your recommended local ales (but no more than that)!

Quote Reply