Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Re: is road bike necessary [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$600 might be tough, but definately do-able assuming you can swap wheels with your tri bike.

IMO, I'd get a CAAD 8,9 Cannondale frame used...build it up with 9 spd DA or Ultegra 10.

I bought a Saeco f/f/hs/SI cranks for $400 last year, but you could easily slap on $200 in used groupo.
Quote Reply
Re: is road bike necessary [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My local group rides don't care if you ride a tri bike. Just don't ride the aerobars if you're in a group, unless you're in front"

Same with our group, but if you do ride a tri bike, expect to suffer on the hills. We have a number of triathletes in the roadie group, but needless to say, we all tend to leave the tri bike at home for group rides.
Quote Reply
Re: is road bike necessary [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love a road bike when I want to be social, and see the world. Aero when I want to train hard and fast!
I always recommend a road frame with a 25 or 26 cog to the riders who want to ride in Italia with us. Just so much easier to see.

www.bicitreregioni.com/gallery.html
Quote Reply
Re: is road bike necessary [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerveloguy,

I need a road bike so I can develop core strength, which I apparently don't need if I'm going to be riding in the tri position? Plus, if I am planning on doing triathlons, I would put the "fundamental skills" of "working through a group, descending and riding with no hands while changing layers or eating at about position 1008 on my list.

So my answer is no, a road bike is not necessary. It is a luxury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I set the tri bike up for racing (aggressive position) and the road bike for comfort and "fear no evil" durability...28C tires, etc. The tri bike has a power meter, the road bike has nothing. The tri bike is relatively ugly, the road bike is classic steel with polished lugs. Depending on my mood and the type of riding, I pick what matches. It may not be necessary but it is luxury that makes me enjoy riding much more, and I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: is road bike necessary [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I need a road bike so I can develop core strength, which I apparently don't need if I'm going to be riding in the tri position"

Hmmmm,....don't need core strength in Triathlon?

I think the idea is that you don't develop core strength as well in an aero position, not that you don't need it.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: is road bike necessary [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"a road bike is not necessary. It is a luxury"

I view it the other way around. Given I choice of only one bike, I'd pick a road bike every time. Plus you can pick up a decent used road bike from $500-1000 on ebay.

Don't you find it interesting that most of the top cyclists in tri spend most of their training on a road bike? Stadler trains 90% on a road bike according to a recent interview. Larsen spent 80% on the road bike, not to mention many others.

Are you telling us core strenght isn't important.

"I would put the "fundamental skills" .....at about position 1008 on my list."

Those fundamental skills will make you a better over all rider which translates into being a less dangerous rider in a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: is road bike necessary [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train for TT's and 3k/4k pursuits.

80% of the races I do are mass start, either crits, or road races.

I like to think of it this way:
  • I train the fitness on a road bike.
  • I hone the fitness on the TT bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me a road bike is essential. I enjoy riding with others & being a part of challenging club/store rides. I find that I ride, faster, harder & longer in a good group than I can by myself.

It's also a great way to meet new people & possibly widen your circle of friends.

Ciao,

Paul
Quote Reply

Prev Next