Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Revisited is Back!
Quote | Reply

Go Back. Give Back.
Ironman
® Revisited

Are you tough enough to match the original “Ironmen”? Step back in time with Ironman® Revisited and find out. Return to 1978 when the ultimate endurance event was launched, and take the same challenge they did: complete the Waikiki Rough Water Swim, the Around Oahu Bike and the Honolulu Marathon back-to-back-to-back. No aid stations, no cut off times and no crowds. Just you, your crew and your determination to conquer the legendary course.

REGISTRATION IS OPEN:
Ironman® RevisitedIndividual and Relay Options Available!
August 12, 2008
Honolulu, HI
Register here: http://ironmanrevisited.kintera.org/

On August 12, 2007 at 7:00 am, Ironman[/url]®[/url] Revisited will return to San Souci beach for its fifth year. With a total event capacity of 50 participants, it is an intimate event designed to replicate the adventure, spirit and camaraderie of the original 1978 Ironman®. As Ironman® Hall of fame inductee and Ironman® Revisited co-creator Bob Babbitt puts it, “This is how it all started 28 years ago. A lot of us were there just to see if it could be done. Our buddies got us through the day as our crew, and that’s what made it so special.”

Just like the 1978 event, Ironman® Revisited promises an experience unlike any other. “Ironman® Revisited allows those who love the sport the opportunity to experience the simple pleasures of Ironman without the pressure,” says Ironman® Revisited co-creator and Ironman® ’79 veteran Rick Kozlowski. “It’s also a major fundraiser for the Challenged Athletes Foundation.”

Ironman® Revisited is an Ironman-distance event consisting of a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride and a 26.2-mile run. It’s non-competitive and the course is not closed. All participants must provide their own crew. Individual participants must raise a minimum of $1,500 to cover their entry, while relay members must raise a minimum of $1,000 each. As a major CAF fundraiser, Ironman® Revisited has raised close to $260,000 in the past four years. These funds are used by CAF to provide equipment, training and competition grants to athletes with physical challenges so they can have every opportunity to lead active and full lives.

NEW THIS YEAR:
Each Ironman® Revisited entry now includes a two-day pre-race tri-clinic led by Ironman® legend, Dave Scott. The clinic runs from Thursday, August 9th to Friday, August 10th, from 7:00 am – 1:30 pm daily. Activity and discussion to include the following topics: Injury prevention, strength training, swim/bike/run technique, evaluating training workloads, fueling for training, determining heart rate range, race strategy, tapering and much more. Location TBD.

SPECIAL GUEST:
As in years past, Ironman® Revisited will once again have a special challenged athlete guest. Attending this year will be Major David Rozelle.
Major David Rozelle serves as a true inspirational hero for injured American soldiers injured in recent conflicts abroad.

While in Iraq, commanding 140 troops of the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Maj. Rozelle lost part of his right leg when a landmine exploded under his Humvee.

After rehabilitation as a below-the-knee amputee, Major Rozelle made the decision to return to active duty – the first American soldier to do so in modern times. Now having completed a second tour in Iraq on a prosthetic leg, Maj. Rozelle is helping his fellow injured soldiers to reclaim an active lifestyle, working at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He strongly believes in the healing power of sports to help accomplish his new mission.

After participating in the 2004 San Diego Triathlon Challenge, Maj. Rozelle became a proud supporter of the Challenged Athletes Foundation (CAF). He serves as a role model and mentor in CAF’s Operation Rebound program.

Most recently, in 2006, Maj. Rozelle conquered not only the Ford Ironman Coeur d'Alene Triathlon, but the Ford Ironman World Championship in Kona - an important goal he set for himself to prove that he's not only "back in action," but back with a purpose.

For more information or to register, visit www.challengedathletes.org or call 858-866-0959, ext. 102.
Last edited by: Revisited: Mar 29, 07 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Revisited is Back! [Revisited] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to offer a huge "thumbs up" to Challended Athletes Foundation for producing Ironman Revisited. I want to give a big "thumbs down" to 99.99999% of the triathlon community for ignoring this event, although I say that in a loving, encouraging manner.

I first learned of this event, a total remake of the original Ironman on Oahu, in May 2002 while in Death Valley with some athletes who were training for the Badwater Ultramarathon, which I organize. I heard it was limited to just 50 athletes and assumed it would already be sold out. I called Bob Babbitt up ASAP that following Monday and begged to get in. Little did I know what life-changing, fun, interesting, and incredibly rewarding experience that race would be for me and for my support crew.

Little could I have imagined that the tens or hundreds of thousands of triathletes around the world would turn their nose up at this race. (The 50-athlete field limit has never come close to being filled; more like 25 or less, including relay teams.) I found, and still find, that absolutely shocking and ridiculous. This event rules!!!!!

it's about the most fun one can have in a triathlon, it supports a tremendous cause, and it's the ONLY race that literally takes its participants back to the roots of triathlon.

Sure, the traffic is kind of sucky on parts of the ride and run, but it's ALL scenic, the swim is fantastic, the bonding with the crew is neat, the post-race party at the Waikiki Aquarium is the best post-race party I've ever attended, and much, much more. I love Ironman Revisited and I want to encourage ALL triathletes out there to give it a go. Forget about what your finishing time will be! Do you have nothing else to race for??? Forget about qualifying for some other race! Can't you live in the present and enjoy and appreciate the race you are currently doing? ? Forget about racing down the road with a thousand other athletes! Are you too much of a wimp to just go it alone and hardly see another athlete while you swim 2.4, bike 112, and run 26.2???

I have only trained for 30 days for each of the solo Ironman Revisited days I've raced and I had a blast each time. (I had even more fun when I did it as a three-person relay in 2005.) Sure, it was tough. Sure, I got beat up a bit. Sure I hated it a few moments here and there. But who cares? It's for a GREAT CAUSE and the OVERALL EXPERIENCE is like nothing else in the triathlon world!

Oh hey, and did I mention that I came in right behind Dave Scott on the bike one year, and with Scott Tinley another??? (But swam about 30 minutes slower than Rudy Garcia-Tolson and ran A LOT slower than One Arm Willie!) How many of you have been on the race course with legends like those guys?

So, get out there and race in the wake of legends like Scott, Tinley, Tom Warren, John Collins, not to mention Magnum, p.i, who was shown competing in the "IronMan Competition" in that one episode from that long running (80-88) documentary about Oahu's most famous private investigator!

I'm a nut for this race and you can find a zillion photos and things about my Ironman Revisited experiences at this link:

http://www.adventurecorps.com/magnum/[url]

Step up to the plate and have a great time, triathletes of the world!

Yours in sport,
Chris Kostman
Oak Park, CA, USA
Quote Reply