Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why do we only critique bike positions?
Quote | Reply
With the number of people looking for free bike fit advice...

Why haven't more people posted videos of their running technique/gait for critique?

I'm sure plenty of us have digital cameras with waterproof housings/bags and could easily record swim technique also...although it would probably look creepy bringing a camera into a public pool.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we only critique bike positions? [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably out of fear of being told their ass is too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once my lake warms up I was going to have someone video my swimming and post it for critique. I live in an area with virtually no swim instruction so I'm hoping the ST gurus can help me improve. Not sure if I'd stroll into a pool with a camera.

In all honesty, how much of the bike position advice is 'good advice' and how much is just from people who have seen enough threads that they are experts?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we only critique bike positions? [Dave G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the same token, how many $100 fit jobs are from people who know what they're doing and actually care, and how many are from the new kid at the shop while the boss it at lunch?

at least here it's free.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Why haven't more people posted videos of their running technique/gait for critique?"

Because the denizens of ST are triathletes in name only. They are actually, totally and completely obsessed with all things related to cycling, but not all cycling - it seems to be only things related to Time Trialing, so lot's of talk about aerodynamics, power, big gears etc . .

Ever notice how ANY threads on swimming and running fall off the front page in a matter of minutes while a thread on just about anything related to bike aerodynamics can stay on the front page for days!! :)

I note that I found this thread, lingering on page two and about to go to page three with only 180 views. I rest my case.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Mar 29, 07 13:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm.... Gets me thinking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we only critique bike positions? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect it's more to do with impatience: If someone says "go lower at the front and you'll go faster" taking the advice takes 2 minutes with a multitool - it's easy to try out (and easy to change back if you end up disagreeing). If someone posts their running style and gets told "you're a heel striker" or posts a swim video and gets told [ ] (I have no examples I'm not a swimmer!) the fix is months and months of hard work. It's too big an investment to trust the internet on so no-one bothers. If someone's really curious on how to improve their swim and run, and committed enough, they'll get a real coach.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because running "hurts" and only a few like Doug Stern on here actually know how to swim well..

At least that's what I read most often on the few running or swimming related threads...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by GARodgers [ In reply to ]
Re: Why do we only critique bike positions? [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Probably out of fear of being told their ass is too high.
I'm still working on getting back in shape in addition to my tri training so I'd be more worried about being told my ass is too low right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------
"A bucket...if you haven't puked in it you could be going harder."
- Lazy Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we only critique bike positions? [GARodgers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm of the opinion that most "critique my bike fit" threads are really just a chance for the person to show off pictures of their ride."

I must admit that this may be part of the reason. I would also say that these folks are very brave. I have seen some absolutly horrific fits/positionings here during my time on ST. Some of these people should get a reward just for finishing the bike leg in a triathlon with a fit/postion like that!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we only critique bike positions? [GARodgers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm of the opinion that most "critique my bike fit" threads are really just a chance for the person to show off pictures of their ride.

Not that many people are interested in showing off their running shoes. And even less are ready to show off their speedos. ;-)

I of the same opinion. Taking it one step further, I think the only thing that a lot of triathletes like more than looking at photos of themselves is others looking at photos of them. And their ride, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do we only critique bike positions? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that a lot of people on this forum have given excellent advice on swimming. The problem is that it is a technique and feel driven sport, and is harder to communicate correct technique than it is to communicate that someone's seat is too high.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply