Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Footpod issue.
Quote | Reply
My brother recently got the Garmin footpod with the Garmin 305. He is having an issue and I was wondering if anyone here has heard or experianced anything like it.

After purchasing and activating a foot pod for my 305, it appears that for any indoor activity when the foot pod is not on, I get no data points. I believe this is the only correlation. I use my 305 when lifting weights and that's the only time I turn the foot pod off while indoors. When I do that, the unit records the correct workout time, the correct max and average heart rate, but no data points, so that my graph is a straight line from start to finish. I have no problem with the unit when the foot pod is on, or when I'm outdoors using the GPS. Is this a known issue?

I believe this is the only correlation. I do record my weight lifting workouts under "Other", however when I forget to reset the category while running, I've recorded some runs under the "Other" category and they've worked fine. Only weightlifting with the foot pod off seems to fail.

Anyone?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Footpod issue. [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What indoor weight lifting data is your brother trying to record? Using the 305 indoors with the footpod turned off, and the auto pause turned on will cause the timer to stop and not record any data.

Maybe disable the auto pause will resolve this for him.

Good Luck,

BC
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Footpod issue. [bconway6650] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure exactly what he's trying to record but I'll pass this along to him.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Footpod issue. [bconway6650] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot I had an account here :)

I'm just recording heart rate while weight lifting. I have auto-pause turned off on the unit. The odd thing is, it records the correct length of time for the workout. I exported the workout history and it's basically a standard XML file so I can look at the data points. Here's what things have looked like under "Other" since I installed the foot pod:

<Lap StartTime="2007-03-29T11:46:04Z">
<TotalTimeSeconds>2685.170000</TotalTimeSeconds>
<DistanceMeters>0.000000</DistanceMeters>
<MaximumSpeed>0.000000</MaximumSpeed>
<Calories>0</Calories>
<AverageHeartRateBpm xsi:type="HeartRateInBeatsPerMinute_t">
<Value>108</Value>
</AverageHeartRateBpm>
<MaximumHeartRateBpm xsi:type="HeartRateInBeatsPerMinute_t">
<Value>148</Value>
</MaximumHeartRateBpm>
<Intensity>Active</Intensity>
<TriggerMethod>Manual</TriggerMethod>
<Track>
<Trackpoint>
<Time>2007-03-29T11:46:04Z</Time>
<HeartRateBpm xsi:type="HeartRateInBeatsPerMinute_t">
<Value>60</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
<SensorState>Present</SensorState>
</Trackpoint>
<Trackpoint>
<Time>2007-03-29T12:30:49Z</Time>
<Value>105</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
<SensorState>Present</SensorState>
</Trackpoint>
</Track>
</Lap>

It basically captured 2 datapoints - one at the beginning and one at the end. But somehow was capturing datapoints in between because the maximum HR (148) and avg HR (108) cannot possibly be derived from those 2 datapoints. Now look at the one below before installing the footpod. There are tons of trackpoints - basically every 3 seconds as long as my HR is in flux. What gives?

<Lap StartTime="2007-03-12T11:43:50Z">
<TotalTimeSeconds>1883.440000</TotalTimeSeconds>
<MaximumSpeed>0.000000</MaximumSpeed>
<Calories>0</Calories>
<AverageHeartRateBpm xsi:type="HeartRateInBeatsPerMinute_t">
<Value>93</Value>
</AverageHeartRateBpm>
<MaximumHeartRateBpm xsi:type="HeartRateInBeatsPerMinute_t">
<Value>113</Value>
</MaximumHeartRateBpm>
<Intensity>Active</Intensity>
<TriggerMethod>Manual</TriggerMethod>
<Track>
<Trackpoint>
<Time>2007-03-12T11:43:50Z</Time>
<Value>85</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
<SensorState>Absent</SensorState>
</Trackpoint>
<Trackpoint>
<Time>2007-03-12T11:43:51Z</Time>
<Value>85</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
</Trackpoint>
<Trackpoint>
<Time>2007-03-12T11:43:55Z</Time>
<Value>82</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
</Trackpoint>

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Footpod issue. [gajillion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kind of a bummer if you've been accustomed to using your 305 for recording your time duration and HR while lifting. Have you disabled the foot pod setting in the accessories section to see if your Garmin will revert back to the earlier operational state?

Probably kind of a crappy solution though.

BC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That may be the only option. Just glancing at the files it appears the only difference is the "Sensor present" and "Sensor abcent" info. If the Garmin is sensing the footpod, even though it's off, it may be looking for info from it in order to create tracking points.

Are you actually lifting weights with the footpod on your shoe still, just turned off? Might be as simple as putting on a different pair of shoes.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the same thing if it knows you have a cadence sensor but can't pick it up (at least on the traniner so no speed/distance data, thus similar to your situation)...I've had this when switching between my 2 bikes (cadence sensor on each but need to scan for the other one when switching and sometimes can't be bothered). You can see the HR data live but it can't plot it against the data points it's expecting in that mode so no graph etc.

Don't know 100% if it will work but change the footpod seting to no footpod in the watch and you'll probably be fine (back to how you were when it worked). You'll then need to turn it back on when you want to use the footpod.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Footpod issue. [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't like to lift in my running shoes, but I guess that's a possible solution as long as I'm just doing upper body. Problem I suspect with turning it off in the watch is that I had to do some serious calibration to get it to work. I suspect that if I turn it off, I'd have to recalibrate, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...I wonder what would happen if you left the gps on indoors? It might still look for the footpod or fail to graph due to the lack of data points but might be worth trying.

I don't know about the calibration but you may have a point there, the cadence sensor is self-calibrating with the gps so not an issue so I hadn't thought about that.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of possibilities. Do you have your training center software readout in time as opposed to distance? Also, have you done the latest firmware update?

Aloha,
Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Footpod issue. [furndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also, have you done the latest firmware update?

You work for Garmin, don't you? :)

I did try switching between time and distance and it made no difference. When I'm in Time display, I basically get a 45 minute flatline of exactly the only heart beat it actually captured.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Footpod issue. [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that did it. I turned the footpod off in the watch and it read the correct HR. Luckily it didn't lose the calibration setting either so when I turned it back on today, it was set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet!

Quote Reply