Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for anyone in the know -- Mitral Valve Prolapse
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any insight or knowledge on whether or not MVP is a progressive disease (bad wording). In other words, does it get worse over time? Perhaps over the span of many years. I have a mild case that doesn't show up on any EKG because it is so sporadic, but I show all the symptoms. It was a topic in my Physiology class this evening and it got me thinking about it. Just wondering if I have anything to be concerned about in the future...

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for anyone in the know -- Mitral Valve Prolapse [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does not get worse, and tends to be mis(over)diagnosed. Describe your symptoms to a GP and a lot of times they'll just throw up their hands and say Mitral Valve Prolapse. Get an echo.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for anyone in the know -- Mitral Valve Prolapse [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really a big deal and very common (assuming no serious murmur/regurgitation is heard on exam - good idea to get a better look as was suggested, i.e. echocardiogram). Does increase your "risk" of bacterial endocarditis or heart valve vegetation, so antibiotic prophylaxis is generally recommended for any surgical procedure and even dental cleaning/exams.

Re: Question for anyone in the know -- Mitral Valve Prolapse [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife has this. She will occasionally get a rapid heart beat of sort of irrgular beat if she get really tired but mainly no issues other than the antibiotic thing when she get the teeth cleaned.

Quote | Reply
Like I said, it doesn't have much of an effect on me as it's such a mild case. I have heard of the medication, but don't use it because "I don't have any problems" as the doctor says. Everything has been well so far, here's hoping it continues. Thanks for the replies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's lots of information online about it, but if it's mild, there's really not much to worry about (and I think it's really only a problem at all if there's significant regurgitation with it). I was diagnosed with it a few years ago after having an echocardiogram, and I did a fair bit of research on it at the time. There was one really informative article I found that was specifically about MVP in endurance athletes, and the bottom line is that they didn't find any cause for concern.

--
fork DOWN
times DOWN
woo - jackmott
Quote Reply
Re: Question for anyone in the know -- Mitral Valve Prolapse [johnny law] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a URL for some of that online information: http://www.webmd.com/...ve-Prolapse-Overview

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply