Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

???Swimmer Assulted???
Quote | Reply
I don't know how much you're hearing about this in North America, but the Aussies are making a big stink about it. You can decide whether they're right to do so or not:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=257137

My thoughts:
1. The footage should have never been broadcast in the first place. What goes on between a father and daughter or a coach and athlete is not a video clip for us to view and critique like a tabloid. It seems more like a papparazzi (sp) video than news footage. I am getting rather tired of seeing the toussle played over and over again. (If you're thinking I'm just making things worse by posting it, you'll get no argument from me).

2. This was nothing more than a teenage girl throwing a tantrum. She is unfortunate enough to have an over-eager parent who is also her coach. I have dealt with the pressure of being a competitive athlete at a young age, and I definitely got into a few nasty spats with my over-eager parents. Some of them were a hell of a lot worse that this clip. I'm not saying it's right, or excusable, but if you think this is an isolated incident, you're simply kidding yourself.

3. If you never have days when you want to kick your coach in the nuts, you're coach isn't doing his (or her) job. Do you think this young girl would be at the World Champs if there was nobody kicking her ass into the pool every morning and afternoon? I highly doubt it. Again, his behavior was by no means exemplary as a coach or a father. But coaches and families can have bad days, the same as athletes. These two just happened to be caught on tape.

Afterwords: The guy's coaching license has been revoked, and there are no criminal charges being laid. The girl was not physically harmed in the incident and is competing today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe I should put something nice here.
Quote Reply
Re: ???Swimmer Assulted??? [thebigH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As you said, the footage never should have been broadcasted. So, not all of us want to watch train wrecks, so, I will not even go to the article.

And yes, I have two daughters and know first hand how they can get out of control when they were teenagers.!!!!!!! Want to see my missing hair
that what is left is turning gray? :o)

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Mar 27, 07 19:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow! I won't ever complain that my coach was too tough on me again!

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimming is stressful...shit happens
Quote Reply
Re: ???Swimmer Assulted??? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn tootin'

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming always seems to involve so much politics and drama.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Re: ???Swimmer Assulted??? [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which swimmer is it?
Quote Reply
Re: ???Swimmer Assulted??? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the papers identified her as Ukraine's Kateryna Zubkova.

Third police altercation for former Soviet republics representatives this championships. A Russian diving coach got arrested after getting drunk and allegedly assaulting a hotel security guard, and a 14 year old Russian swimmer got off with a warning after allegedly shoplifting at an Australian KMart.

Why is it that swim World Championships in Australia seem to bring out the police blotter action? Last time around, it was Australian Customs busting Chinese swimmers trying to bring HGH into Perth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

My thoughts:
1. The footage should have never been broadcast in the first place. What goes on between a father and daughter or a coach and athlete is not a video clip for us to view and critique like a tabloid.
yeah, (child) abuse is should really be a don't ask don't tell sort of thing, that way our sensibilities won't be offended and the guy can keep doing it without upsetting you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you actually seen it ? Looked like dad was chucking a bigger tantrum.
Quote Reply
Re: ???Swimmer Assulted??? [Kiri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're an idiot.
The girl wasn't being "abused" and wasn't hurt. Hence the "no criminal charges are being laid".

The video should have been handled by FINA and the local police. Absolutely no good will come from airing the clip repeatedly, regardless of who's offended by it.

Quote Reply
Re: ???Swimmer Assulted??? [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frick... I'm in Adelaide... I've seen it too many times to count... I can't escape it.

Did look like Dad was losing it too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Daughter and I wrestle harder than that and she is only 6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bugger. my flash video player not working. Will view later.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: ???Swimmer Assulted??? [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked to me like Dad/coach was getting his ass kicked ;)

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Re: ???Swimmer Assulted??? [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was waiting for a spinkick from the girl...
Quote Reply
Re: ???Swimmer Assulted??? [Haim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you take on an angry swim kid?

HELL NO!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you-it looks like he just wanted to shake her up and get some sense into her. He didn't smack her around which was the sense I got from the article. I was a teenage girl swimmer and now have a teenage son doing tri and XC at an international level. I say very little and have to leave things to coaches. But i must say that it is very hard to watch him compete-it seems easier for me to race then to watch him race.

Another thought-In some countries, kids' athletics is the only way for them to get anywhere. University goes only to those very gifted. So there is more at stake then we sometimes realize. That could be the fustration that is seen by that dad.

I feel so bad for all of them that this was not a private moment-as it should have been. Is Big Brother watching?
Quote Reply
Re: ???Swimmer Assulted??? [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently there is actually 7 minutes of footage so we are seeing a very edited version of events. I've heard reports that the dad/coach lands a few good shots in the full video
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]