Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wetsuit rec?
Quote | Reply
After swimming in the same QR hydro-john (or whatever the model was) for the last 7 years, I finally trashed it. The main reason was I had used too much Pam on it and the rubber was turning everything I own black.

I'm now in the market for a new wetsuit. I'm just over 6'3" and weigh around 188. I have pretty broad shoulders, which has kept me from buying a full suit in the past, plus I live in North Carolina and most of the races don't really require a full suit. When I look at size charts, I tend to be between sizes. For example, on the Blue 70 size chart, I'm in the weight range for the ML, but right at the max height. I'm in the height range for the L suit, but I'm under the lowest weight.

Any good suggestions for tall, broad people?

Thanks,
Adam
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit rec? [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adam, man I'm glad you're getting a new wetsuit. That one was done. The Hyco lake tri was a bunch of fun I had a blast. BTW what do you guess was the distance for the swim?

Peace,
Rob

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
adam, you and I are nearly exactly the same size. i'm 6'2", 189.

I have a blueseventy Helix and a ironman instinct. Both fullsuits. The instinct is older and is a L. Its a little too big. The Helix is a ML and fits perfectly. I'm pretty broad-shouldered as well (grew up as a swimmer).

If I were you, i'd go with the ML...

I've also owned an orca and tried on a 2XU. Both seem to be cut for very thin, lean people (ala Hamish Carter, Hunter Kemper-type builds). the blueseventy suits seem to be cut with a bit more volume in the torso for those with a bit more upper body mass.

PM me for more details...and FWIW, I've had a great experience with blueseventy (i bought it direct)..they will definately work with you if the size isn't right.

my twitter feed
Last edited by: jpflores: Mar 27, 07 21:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam,

Particularly with the high-end wetsuits, you will find that there is two suits that you can get into depending on your size - we like to think of one as The Performance Fit (the smaller size) and the other as The Comfort Fit (the larger size). For most, the Performance fit is a tough sell. It's likley not going to feel that comfortable in the store when you try it on dry, but when you get in the water, this will be the suit that is fastest, if you are wearing it properly ie it has been fit to you properly before swimming.

I hope this helps.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Adam,

Your build may make you a perfect candidate for the T1 Wetsuit. We make a two piece design that allows you to buy a larger top than bottom if you are built like the incredible hulk. If you would like more information click on each the images below. They will take you to details of the T1, the Bibjohn, and the Pullover.

We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee so you risk nothing but the time to test it for yourself.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Last edited by: Emilio: Mar 28, 07 17:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll back up Emilio on this one. I have a T1 Black Pearl and I own both the sleeved AND sleeveless tops. Basically, two suits for the price of 1 and 1/2. Easy on and off, and fast, and versatile.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit rec? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
REally more like 1 1/3. That vest top is pretty cheap.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Judging by your build, I would say that the DeSoto T1 First Wave or Black Pearl would be the best suit for you. Being as tall as you are, a two piece suit would be a much better fit through the torso, in my opinion. Also, a two piece suit is very versatile.

Good luck!

"It is not the great things we do in life that really matter, it's the small things we do with a great heart..."-Mother Theresa
Quote Reply
Re: wetsuit rec? [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Both seem to be cut for very thin, lean people (ala Hamish Carter, Hunter Kemper-type builds)"

Indeed, if you stand on the beach at the start of any of the big IM races with 2500 people, it's readily apparent that this sport is attracting a wide range of sizes and shapes. That's all good news. The problem is that more than a few manufacturers, and not just wetsuit companies, don't seem to understand this and people on the outer fringes of the fit scales get short-changed.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Mar 29, 07 7:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see wetsuits as bikes, and you have to go with the one that fits you best and still performs.

I used to think they were all the same until I had the luxury of taking 3 different wetsuits down to Barton Springs and trying them out( this was over 2 years ago so I can't remember what the other two brands were) but I immediately picked the T1. I own a first wave bottom and full top, and a Black Pearl Vest.

The fact that you can get different sizes to match your upper and lower half correctly is helpful. Also, when trying on any wetsuit, make sure you have all of the seams aligned correctly. It makes a big difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will back up Emelio, I'm shorter but I love the flexibility of my T1. You won't have any restriction problems in the middle regions, especially if you're taller. The top of the suit moves with you when you swim. And you can buy sleeve and sleeveless top for different temp races. Full suit it too hot when water is over 72 degrees in my opinion.

Also customer service is great. I had a tear in my bibs, I sent it back they fixed it in a week no charge.

Mark

http://www.mctriguy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply