Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why do my piggies get sore when I ride?
Quote | Reply
And what can I do about it?

I took my first long outdoor ride of the season today. I wore open toed cycling shoes (I know, nerdy but they work very well here on vacation) and 2 hours into the ride my toes felt swollen and actually hurt. This happened two days ago also. I tried dropping the heels, wiggling the toes etc. It helped but I wonder if I'm missing out on something. And no, I don't think my seat is too high.

Thanks,

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: Why do my piggies get sore when I ride? [Tri-illini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 "I wore open toed cycling shoes"

Please explain.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Why do my piggies get sore when I ride? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are really, really ugly shimano sandals with spd cleats. The advantage is you can walk easily in them. I'm in Mexico and it's nice to be able to get off the bike and walk around. In this case I rode continuously for 2.5 hours, jumped in the ocean, then rode home. The significance of the open toe is that the problem isn't that the shoes are too tight.

P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cleat position too far forward maybe??

But, I'm guessing that the open-toe thing is throwing you off and you are clenching the pigs to "hold on" to the shoes unconciously.

Quote | Reply
The significance of the open toe is that the problem isn't that the shoes are too tight.

I think the significance of the fact that they're sandals is that they will be loose compared to proper cycling shoes as they're not held against your foot in as many places or as securely...this means they'll move around and your foot will be trying to compensate for this. I don't think those things are really targeted at serious cyclists...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that those sandals are for short rides and recreational riding--not really for 2.5 hrs in the saddle. I agree that they probably did not adequately support the foot.
Quote Reply