Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

first run in with a car
Quote | Reply
Not as bad as some of the crashes other members have had but still a wake up call...

About 2/3 of the way done with an 80ish mi out and back today im riding in the bike lane of a 2 lane road(gulf going through indian rocks for those in the tampa bay area). Im traveling at a pretty fast speed, making good time, thinking about how many more cals i want to add to future rides, how long i want to run after i get off the bike etc. On the opposite side of the road i see a pt cruiser approaching, as im getting close the lady apparently decided she needed to make a u-turn. She makes the u turn maybe 5-10 ft(estimating, it happened so quickly) in front of me angled all the way across the bike lane/shoulder, think -> /. I was in the aero position and had just enough time to get out of it and slam on the brakes skidding to about 10 mph and angle the bike so id glance off the car(rear passenger door)better, i had nowhere else to go and had no time to do anything else. I get up and notice i put a nice gash taking up a good part of her rear door so im thinking i had to do some good damage to the bike, the QR had not a scratch. Apparently the handlebar/brake lever is the part that took the impact, it twisted so i twisted it back and everything seemed good. I check myself, bloody knee, no big deal plenty of those before. Lady gets out crying saying shes so sorry she wasnt paying attention, was on the phone etc. I tell her shes an idiot, she should watch where shes driving etc. Shes checking my body up and down for any injuries as i check the bike. I dust my back off and ride away, its over with.

Im glad my first, and hopefully last, encounter was relatively harmless but its pretty crazy how fast these things can happen. Should i have done anything else in the situation? If anything was damaged i would have called the police but i figured since i was fine and the bike was fine i should just be thankful it wasnt worse and move on? Also it was a nice way to make me forget about how sore my neck was from being in the aero position basically the whole way! Knee was a little sore on the run afterwards but nothing unbareable.

Be careful out there!
Quote Reply
Re: first run in with a car [omoore61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watch yourself riding (or eve driving) in FL... Lots of geezers driving around who don't still have all their marbles.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably would have called the police to at least try to get her a ticket but then who knows, her story would probably change to you caused the damage to her car. The other benefit of a police report, unless you got her name/plates, would be if you wake up tomorrow and are more hurt than you thought. I've rented a few PT cruisers - the visability is lousy. Combine that with a cell phone . . . Glad you and the bike survived.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're ok man...I guess if we are keeping score...You - 1...PT Cruiser - 0...Its about time that WE caused some damage...J/K...Seriously, hope the knee is fine and stay safe out there...

J

If it's not fun...don't do it!!!
Quote Reply
Re: first run in with a car [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my second run in with a car last week. The first was on my QR Lucero and I thought the handlebars took the brunt of the damage, but after my LBS checked it out - the derailleur hanger was bent. Last week, my Six13 frame was cracked in half.

Both drivers were old men and both failed to yield. The first guy said he didn't see me and the second guy saw me, but decided I should have stopped for him to turn left. I think he was on his cell phone and wasn't paying attention as he turned left. Both times - just like you, by the time I realized they were going to hit me, it was too late to stop.

I called the cops both times and both times the drivers were cited. I got full replacement cost for my lucero and I'm sure I'll get a fair settlement for the six13. Insurance companies have no idea how much bikes cost and it took a lot for them to understand that replacing a bike is not like replacing a car. I would not have had a leg to stand on without the police report.

My body took more of a hit this time, but I should be back on the bike next week. I spent a day in the ER getting Xrayed and I still might follow up some achy joints. I'm happy to have the driver's insurance paying my medical bills. The insurance companies will even offer you "pain and suffering" and "inconvenience" pay as part of the final settlement. I didn't accept the pain and suffering offer last time, but this time I think I am going to use it to try HED's extra brake lever for my aerobars.

I hope you're ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the person who hit you sounds nice and all, but it still bugs me. making a u-turn while talking on the phone? she can't put the phone down for 30 seconds? ugh.

glad you're feeling ok.
Quote Reply
Re: first run in with a car [ewahesh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry to hear! Hope you get back to 100% soon. Im fortunate the car was angled which gave me an opportunity to glance off of the door, otherwise it wouldve been a nasty crash. I just went jogging for a few miles to see how my knee was doing, it was a little tender but im pretty confident in saying it'll be back to normal in a day or two. I'll be swimming tomorrow, so i think that will be good also.

haha hopefully i dont get to the point where im keeping score! That would be expensive and painful. Im glad it was a pt cruiser also , what an ugly car.

Thanks for the wishes guys, i hope if there are run-ins by anyone else they will be more like this and not resulting in serious injury...
Last edited by: omoore61: Mar 25, 07 17:55
Quote Reply
Re: first run in with a car [ewahesh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about $10K into my Cervelo P3C and I think the best 90 bucks in the whole thing is the Hed third brake lever on the right aerobar for the rear wheel. If Hed comes out with a left brake lever on the aerobar for the front wheel I would get that too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful on the beach road. Lived in Tampa for 10 years – now in Texas. I was on a bike path today next to a major road and some fat fu… decided to make a u-turn which included careening through about 10 feet of grass onto the bike path and then back out onto the road. Decorum prevents me from relating what happened. He didn’t have the balls to get out of the car.
-------------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply