Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I raced Gordo!
Quote | Reply
So yesterday was the Lake Havasu Triathlon, a Sprint and Olympic race in Lake Havasu AZ. I was there racing the Olympic. I was out on the run heading for the turn around and the lead runner came by me. I nodded to him to acknowledge his strong perfromance and continued on. I was in fourth place overall but this guy had a solid mile lead on me. I had been within 2-3min. of him off the bike, but he was crushing me the run. So I settled in and finished my race in 4th overall in 2:06:03.
This guy who won finished in a blistering 1:59 and change. So at the finish, I walked over to him to congtratulate him and see if he was in my AG, as I figured I must have beent he first 35-39 at least. Turns out he was my exact age of 38. I introduced myself and he said his name was Gordo...
Wait, I said, Gordo, as in THE Gordo? Sure as hell it was! I couldn't believe it! I told him I had just recently been listening to the Ironman Talk podcast from his Epic Camp. He was very cool, we chatted about New Zealand as he used to live there and my wife and I vacationed for 2 weeks there last March. It was my first brush with one of our sports greats and he was very gracious. He did steal my AG win, but it was an honor to come in second to him. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: I raced Gordo! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He did steal my AG win, but it was an honor to come in second to him. :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh No! You just started the Steve Larsen shouldn't race as an age grouper debate again ;-)

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]So yesterday was the Lake Havasu Triathlon, a Sprint and Olympic race in Lake Havasu AZ. I was there racing the Olympic. I was out on the run heading for the turn around and the lead runner came by me. I nodded to him to acknowledge his strong perfromance and continued on. I was in fourth place overall but this guy had a solid mile lead on me. I had been within 2-3min. of him off the bike, but he was crushing me the run. So I settled in and finished my race in 4th overall in 2:06:03.
This guy who won finished in a blistering 1:59 and change. So at the finish, I walked over to him to congtratulate him and see if he was in my AG, as I figured I must have beent he first 35-39 at least. Turns out he was my exact age of 38. I introduced myself and he said his name was Gordo...
Wait, I said, Gordo, as in THE Gordo? Sure as hell it was! I couldn't believe it! I told him I had just recently been listening to the Ironman Talk podcast from his Epic Camp. He was very cool, we chatted about New Zealand as he used to live there and my wife and I vacationed for 2 weeks there last March. It was my first brush with one of our sports greats and he was very gracious. He did steal my AG win, but it was an honor to come in second to him. :)[/reply]

How did he steal your age group win?

You said he was in first place so then he would get a first place overall and you would get first in your age group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be putting posters of him on your bedroom wall. Your wife might get nervous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It was my first brush with one of our sports greats
Mark Allen was there to watch Gordo race? Now that's cool!
Quote Reply
Re: I raced Gordo! [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
                 I think even Gordo would cringe at being referred to as one of the sports greats.Great guy,great motivator,great businessman and hell he even might be a great husband but one of the "sports greats" is quite a stretch.Now his business partner Scott Molina on the other hand?
Quote Reply
Re: I raced Gordo! [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think even Gordo would cringe at being referred to as one of the sports greats"

True.

"Now his business partner Scott Molina on the other hand? "

No contest there :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I raced Gordo! [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]"I think even Gordo would cringe at being referred to as one of the sports greats"
True.
"Now his business partner Scott Molina on the other hand? "
No contest there :-)[/reply]

He would cringe at having his name is Paulo's mouth. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I raced Gordo! [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just kidding about stealing the AG win. The RD awarded the overall top 3 Ag awards as well. It's fine and it waas neat to meet him considering how well known he is. I have never even seen a Dave Scott or Mark Alllen or any of the Pro's, so this was just a little first for me. He was very unassuming and it's was just neat to meet him especially after hearing him on those podcasts.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough AG race..........except the 50-54 which was like soft ice cream. Too bad Joe or Kevin weren't there, now that would be fun kicking their butts.

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have have not met many elites and not seen any of them in action personally. I think the enthusiasm you have shown in both your posts here is very refreshing

[reply]
I'm just kidding about stealing the AG win. The RD awarded the overall top 3 Ag awards as well. It's fine and it waas neat to meet him considering how well known he is. I have never even seen a Dave Scott or Mark Alllen or any of the Pro's, so this was just a little first for me. He was very unassuming and it's was just neat to meet him especially after hearing him on those podcasts. [/reply]
Quote Reply