Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Testing for LT - Breath analysis or finger prick [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
From Wikipedia:

Accurately measuring the anaerobic threshold involves taking blood samples (normally a pinprick to the finger, earlobe or thumb) during a ramp test where the exercise intensity is progressively increased. Measuring the anaerobic threshold can also be performed non-invasively using gas-exchange (Respiratory quotient) methods, which requires a metabolic cart to measure air inspired and expired.
Yet more evidence that Wikipedia is often a poor source of information.
Quote Reply
Re: Testing for LT - Breath analysis or finger prick [mckenzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you can test ventilatory threshold with breath analysis, but not lactate threshold.

however, in many cases these values will be very close to each other (either in HR or VO2) because the two are linked (yeah! bicarbonate buffering pathway)
That was Wasserman's theory, anyway, but it has long since been disproven.
Quote Reply
Re: Testing for LT - Breath analysis or finger prick [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
however, in many cases these values will be very close to each other (either in HR or VO2) because the two are linked (yeah! bicarbonate buffering pathway)
Real question, not sarcastic (I have to warn :-p): Like Trey said, I thought the exact mechanism was not known, has this been clarified in the last years?
The mechanism linking the two hasn't been clarified because the two clearly aren't mechanistically linked.
Quote Reply
Re: Testing for LT - Breath analysis or finger prick [Mito Chondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe Dr. Coggan can chime in. Dr Coggan, would you say that "lactacte is not the bad guy"?
Lactate is not the bad guy (and no one who understands the first thing about muscle metabolism during exercise has thought so for at least 50 y).
Quote Reply
Re: Testing for LT - Breath analysis or finger prick [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No reason to prick a finger. Ride hard more, wear an HRM, you can find your LT
As Paulo said, the only way to determine LT is to measure lactate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When anaerobic metabolism occurs, lactic acid is produced

Lactic acid never exists in vivo.

In Reply To:
because there is not enough oxygen to use the aerbic pathways

This is only true at exercise intensities >100% of VO2max.

In Reply To:
Lactic acid is almost immediately dissociated into lactate and a hydrogen ion (H+).

Lactate is produced from pyruvate, i.e., it never exists in the protonated form. The H+ produced during non-aerobic glycolysis are due to reactions further up the pathway.

In Reply To:
The lactate can be safely transported in the blood, but the H+ cannot. The H+ then reacts with bicarbonate HCO3, which produces water and CO2 (which can be safely carried in the blood).

This is correct.

In Reply To:
Increased levels of CO2 will stimulate ventilation to 'blow off' the excess, and maintain the balance of the bicarbonate pathway (if CO2 is retained, it will reverse the reaction and leave H+ in the body).

CO2 is actually a fairly weak stimulus to ventilation during exercise (which probably explains why Wasserman's theory proved incorrect).

In Reply To:
This is the point where hyperpnea (increased ventilation) becomes hyperventilation (over-ventilation). This is the ventilatory threshold.

Hyperpnea is where ventilation is above normal, hyperventilation is when ventilation exceeds the bodies metabolic needs (used to 'blow off' CO2 instead of provide more oxygen).

To bring it all together, non-metabolic CO2 rises as a result of lactate accumulation and H+ buffering, so VT and AT should occur almost simultaneously. They don't always, but in theory they should.

Only if you first assume that CO2 is the most important determinant of ventilation during exercise. As it turns out, it isn't, such that ventilatory threshold and lactate threshold can be dissociated in a variety of ways (e.g., glycogen depletion/loading, very fast vs. very slow cadence, steady-state vs. interval training), even in normal individuals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
glycogen depleted subjects show lower Lactate levels. This could be due to higher lactate consumption due to comprimised muscle glycogen levels.
It's not (at least that's not the primary mechanism).
Quote Reply
Re: Testing for LT - Breath analysis or finger prick [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, this is like talking to my advisor. I guess this is why I'm still in school.

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: Testing for LT - Breath analysis or finger prick [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right. Which is why I said 'Given that Wiki is not perfect, I posted here so you could point out that it is either inaccurate or flat-out wrong. ' Wiki can be correct in many cases or incorrect. It more often than not is correct - more so than Brittanica.

And in faireness, it isn't just wiki, either. Many other university websites are saying exactly the same thing.

It does seems you did answer my first question: which of the two methods is superior with some good explanation as to why ventilatory can be dissociated with lactate.

For the purposes of associating LT with HR during a test for training guidance, you suggest it will not suffice. I'm guessing you wouldn't use HR for training guidance to LT anyway (when running or biking) and would use pace or power.
Last edited by: Learn: Mar 26, 07 11:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next