Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calves on Fire after long run
Quote | Reply
So, being relatively new to all this, I turn to the gurus here at ST.

After my 16 mile run (which btw is a loooonngg sloooow time compared to most of y'all) my calves felt like they were on fire. It dissipated and I figured, ah, well, first time doing 16, to be expected.

Today I did 14 and same thing, calves on fire. Did an ice bath and am fine but am wondering if this is an indication of something I'm doing wrong, missing, need to do???

I did Gu & Gatorade on the run....................
Tnx
Quote Reply
Re: Calves on Fire after long run [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need more info. You said this was your first time running 16. Since your long run should only encompass 25% of your weekly total, does that work with you? Was it hilly? How long have been running? And lastly, if you have never run 16 before, why did you run 14 the day after?!

Quote | Reply
Do you run on your toes? Ask someone to carefully watch you run - are you striking heel first or on the front of your foot?

There was some famous runner that never put his heels down, but it must put massive strain on your calves and can't be good for you really...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check this out in relation to a forefoot strike asa opposed to a heal strike.

BB

http://www.blakebecker.com

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calves on Fire after long run [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, I wasn't clear in my OP.
3-10 I ran 16 for a long run. 3-17, 10 mile long run and 3-24, 14 miles. basically it was supposed to be 18 miles but the "coach" of the running group screwed up the schedule so had me drop back (I won't digress as to how annoyed I was by the error, but figure if I can make it till May 26, my 1st marathon, injury free, I'll be ahead of many other war stories I've heard.

I've been running 30 mpw for the last 4 weeks and this week was 34 miles including my 14 today. I've read varying things of "long run should be ___% of weekly mileage" I'm sorta following a very beginner, 20 weeks to a first marathon, with a half mary under my belt from last fall. Yeah, i suppose in a perfect world I would trained for another 1/2 mary and picked a fall mary but certain obligations prevented that so here I go...............

I'll have someone watch my stride to see if I'm running too much on my toes.
Thanks!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get the book "Chi Running"...........it's highly likely that your form could use some work. i've been running/racing ten years and still found it very helpful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you're running too much on your toes, but you're sure as heck running too much on your long run. Have you considered running a little more during the week so that long run isn't such a shock to the body?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are probably tight in the posterior muscle groups like most runners. Stretch away. Definitely stay away from Pose, Chi stuff right now with an upcoming marathon and your calves are already hurting. Read for info purposes only, then a gentle trial if you wish in the winter/off season as you may do well with it. Perhaps not.

Quote | Reply
Joe Friel has a great blog, his last post is on forefoot striking:

http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/blog.html

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Quote Reply