Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New conti tire compound?
Quote | Reply
So I love the bullet-proof design of contis- hate their RR. Got sucked into the GP4000 only to find that it was stealing 6-7 watts per wheel over pro 2 race lights.

So what do people know about this new "black chili" compound on the GP 4000 s?
They claim it reduces rolling resistance by 20+ %. Is this tire finally competitive with the Michelins in the realm of RR or is this more marketing BS?

Bike nerds. Please get on this, your help is always appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: New conti tire compound? [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woooooh, how much time is 6-7 watts per wheel??

<http://weissersweekly.blogspot.com>
Quote Reply
Re: New conti tire compound? [BoxofJuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, 6 watts a wheel equals a little more than 5% of my power output in a race. That's significant.
But you must be pumping out 350-400 watts all day long :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I sure don't get flats very often with the GP4000's I use as training tires. Is this your experience too?
Quote Reply
Re: New conti tire compound? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pdx
I use conti 4000s exclusively for training. They are great for fewer flats. I would never race on anything but a conto comp tubular but I can't afford to train on them because they cost too much. Michelin pros may be great, but they flat too much for 1000's of training miles.
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rickn,

Either search the Forum or Google for AFM_tire_testing_rev4_rolling_resistance.pdf.

I picked this off the Forum previously on another thread regarding rolling resistance of clincher tires. I think it will answer your question.

You will notice the Conti Grand Prix 3000 near the bottom, i.e., DFL! Bear in mind "20% improvement" may be a marketing interpretation of some quantitative measure that is not more explicitly explained. I seriously doubt that it is merely .00488 X .8 = .003904 which would still make the rolling resistance for the Conti Grand Prix 4000 one of the highest on the chart. I wouldn't be surprised if it was even less of an improvement in rolling resistance coefficient.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply