Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Tri in Austin?
Quote | Reply
I want to pay a visit to Austin and see what the city is like. Doing a tri there is a good excuse to make such a trip. What is considered the best tri in or around Austin?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri in Austin? [tenacious_b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Capital of Texas Triathlon
www.captextri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Capital of Texas Triathlon

This one is certainly the biggest, but maybe not necessarily the best. The bike portion is criterium style (4 laps for the Olympic, 2 for the Sprint) through downtown, and while the cool factor is high, it gets crowded quickly. Lots of TnT'ers on that course can make it a bit hairy.

If you want to do an Olympic, CapTex is a good bet. It's on Memorial Day (May 28, 2007). They also have a sprint and (I think) super sprint distance. New this year is the Austin Triathlon on Sept. 3, 2007 (Labor Day). I don't know the course details, but it appears to be in downtown.

There are a ton of sprints around Austin. My favorite is Dilloman in September. It's away from downtown, out at Pace Bend Park with a rolling bike course and a mostly trail run.

Also new this year is the Longhorn Triathlon Festival on Oct. 7, 2007, which features a half iron distance and a sprint.

Check out http://www.texastriseries.com/events.asp for details on other Texas Tri Series races. Also, www.trifind.com has a bunch of races in and around Austin listed.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Last edited by: Danno: Mar 23, 07 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack's Generic

http://www.austint3.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with Danno that Captex is a bit too crowded to be a really fun/great race. Dilloman is a great one, and the Austin Tri looks to be a really good race. The upcoming Cactus Challenge is a well run race, but it is in less than a month so your planned visit might rule that one out.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri in Austin? [FreakishPaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jack's Generic

Definitely Jack's! Where else do they give you waterguns at the start of the run or popsicle sticks when you run the whole "Don T. Bonk" section so you get ice cream after? :)

Oh yeah, I must add Dilloman will be awesome this year. They have a new RD (me!) and we are planning some new fun stuff the Saturday before the Sunday race.
Last edited by: cray: Mar 23, 07 8:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK not technically "in" Austin but one of my favorite venues is Marble Falls. Just make sure you get over to the Blue Bonnet Cafe for pie happy hours.

I think KJ's race in Oct is going to be outstanding as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri in Austin? [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one word....LONGHORN.....:)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri in Austin? [KJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One word..... ATXisagoatlovingdillhole.

http://www.austint3.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad...yes I should have named it by name...Longhorn.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri in Austin? [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's ok...but Longhorn is gonna be fantastic:)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri in Austin? [FreakishPaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you stalking me you freaking weirdo?

Seriously you are creeping me out.

Stop it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Captextri. without question. swim- town lake, bike up Congress with awesome view of Capitol, run- DT. Yes, it is crowded, over priced, TnT filled, etc. But if you want a signature race that is it. That said I am coming down for CapTex and Longhorn (you guys better not disappoint!!).

If you want a taste of the organized chaos of Captextri, the Capital of Texas 10k is this weekend (no relation but lots of fun).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
one word....LONGHORN.....:)
will be but it hasn't happened yet. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri in Austin? [Tri Poseur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cap Tex is great. I am pretty excited about the new half IM distance race in Oct though

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply