Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What are the chances of a seat being too low and causing IT Band issues?
Quote | Reply
I ask this question as I am slowly getting over some IT Band issues. I went to the doctor and PT, they both informed me it was my IT Band and that it was really tight and I needed to rest and stretch it. Like I said I'm slowly getting back into running and it feels fine, but I took my road bike out for a ride last night and within 10 miles I felt a burning sensation in the same knee, same spot and my lower back started to hurt.( I've also done about 10 trainer rides on my road bike since Jan ranging from 60 to 90 mins at the same seat height)

Towards the end of the first 10 mile loop, I started to feel really cramped and noticed that my saddle seemed really low. I swung by the house and raised the seat about an inch and took off for another 10 miles. Within a mile the back pain went away and more importantly my knee felt great. So, is it possible that my IT Band problems came from a low saddle? It makes sense, cause if it's not getting stretched out it'll just ball up into a knot... right?

Let me know what you think. Thanks for your imput in advance
Keith

"Obsessed" A word the unmotivated use to describe the dedicated.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of a seat being too low and causing IT Band issues? [RIPTIDE 11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT Band problems become chornic, stretch them so that you don't have to experience ART on the them, because it kills...

Yes, the seat being too low can cause it, that's how my history of ITB pain started. I've managed it well in recent years, because I'm religious with my stretching on them and the associated musculature.

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of a seat being too low and causing IT Band issues? [RIPTIDE 11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto here. i went for a fit and now all is well. GET FIT BIATCH!

runfatmanrun.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An inch is a huge change in saddle height, so that was probably the cause. A too high saddle can irritate my IT band, but a closed riding position is what caused my problems. Trying to ride too low in the front, while not moving my saddle forward (and up a little). 20 minutes of daily stretching for a couple months fixed it.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of a seat being too low and causing IT Band issues? [Eric H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the imput! I've been fit on my QR, but I never really got anything more than an eyeball look for my roadbike. I'll chalk that up to being a rookie, now that I'm a seasoned 1 year vet ! :)

Thanks again

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fairly certain that this was one of the root causes of my ITB problem as well. I just thought I'd let you know that foam roller therapy seems to be the magic bullet for my problem. I've since improved my position on the bike, and roll out my bands (both sides) daily on the roller, and have had no issues since I started my regimen. It was well worth the $15 bucks I paid for it...

Good luck in getting this resolved.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of a seat being too low and causing IT Band issues? [triandlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the imput! Ihave a foam roller as well and seems to be working well.

Quote Reply