Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Ultra
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice on my IM and Ultra post!
So I am going to do it! I guess I feel the need to continually prove I am nuts. The Greenland 50K, it is on April 14th, so I dont have alot of time, i figure I am going to do a 20 mile this weekend and maybe a 22-25 before the event. I am going to take it real slow, because I dont want to lose too much training time for the tri season.
Any advice? I have only done one marathon back in October, but my running an all around fitness is MUCH better. I ran the marathon real slow, 4:30! I didnt know what to expect being my first time. Now most of my runs 14 miles or under are at about 8:30 pace. I ran a 5K in NOvember 22:35
I did a 30K this month, and I kept the pace light (got invovled in some serious coversation) eneded up at 3 hours (10:00) but it was super easy, felt like I could have kept going and going. No soreness next day.
So thats we I am. Any advice on pacing? Has anyone here done this race?

-
3x Leadville 100 (23:50) PR
Badwater 135 (41:24)
Lean Horse 100 (20:19)
Run Across Colorado 320 miles
Quote Reply
Re: First Ultra [irishsailsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never done the Greenland race. Closest I've been to Greenland is a refueling stop in Iceland. Best of luck to you! have a great race and give us a report.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: First Ultra [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL.
I guess I should have noted that the Greenland 50K is in Colorado!

-
3x Leadville 100 (23:50) PR
Badwater 135 (41:24)
Lean Horse 100 (20:19)
Run Across Colorado 320 miles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you did a 30k in about 3 hours easy maybe aim for somewhere around the 5 hour mark. Start off at 6min/k (10min/mi) and hold it as long as you can!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats awsome, I wish I could do that race, Im gonna doa 50 miler after IMAZ, Let me know how your ultra goes!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to take total elevation gain into your pace determination. I run a lot of ultras and by the biggest pace determinant is elevation gain. With a 50K you can run most of the inclines - depending on your fitness. Since this is your first I would recommend hiking the hills. I ran the way too cool 50k 2 weeks ago in 4:45. It has a total elevation gain of close to 4,000 ft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my 7th ultra, the Chuckanut 50, last weekend on minimal training; took it very easy to control the damage and not interfere with tri training, and finished painlessly in under 6:30. Walk all the hills, take it very easy in the first 5 miles, and eat and drink a lot at every opportunity. Approach it like your first IM - just forget about any time goals other than those that indicate you're going too fast, and suppress all your competitive instincts until you're within a few miles of the finish. If you're holding 10 miute miles you're going way too fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this Greenland 50K is anything like 50Ks that we have in Northern California (most of em are quite hilly, with over 6,000 feet of cumulative gain), I bet it may take you 7+ hours. Not that there's anything wrong with 7+ hours for a 50K, especially considering you are a 4:30 marathoner. I ran a couple of marathons in about 4:30 one year and then ran the Tahoe Rim Trail 50K in about 10:45. Not sure what went wrong with that race, other than it being my first ultra. Good luck to you, ultras are difficult and fun, regardless of your time!

---------------

Kicking butt and writing down people's names since 2001
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice walking.

Sounds funny, but there is a slightly different set of muscles used walking vs. running, and some practice walking up hills--striding strong, not just lollygagging--will pay dividends on race day.

Depending on the pitch of the climb, walk most/all of them...you'll find that your HR will be lower than if you were attempting to run up some of them and most likely not lose much, if any, time walking vs. running uphill.

Start off at a very easy pace and work your way into the race.

Just looked at the website---seems like it is a pretty flat affair as Colorado races might go---"guaranteed to be a fast course", so strike some of the above advice with regards hills...but don't be afraid to walk some of the course, especially if your goal is just to finish and have some fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Don't worry the course is not hard, only about 200-300ft of climbing per lap. Two aid stations. The trail is all double track. There are no trees for shade and nothing to block the wind so it can get cold if the wind blows. As of a week or so ago there was still alot of snow on the course. I ran the climb 3 of the 4 laps and I'm not that fast. Just don't go out to fast with the people running the shorter distances.

have fun, i'll be working one of the aid stations as my required "volunteer" service for Western States.
Last edited by: trailsloth: Mar 23, 07 16:23
Quote Reply