Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

San Luis Obispo or Auburn area
Quote | Reply
which is better for riding and running, swimming (any good swim programs, 50M pools??) during the winter months??
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: San Luis Obispo or Auburn area [TDOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about Auburn but SLO has a very nice 50m pool at Sinsheimer (sp?) park. Lots of great cycling & running also. SLO is also home to Art's Cyclery which is very tri-friendly. Lots of great local events also: Cuesta Biathlon, Lighthouse Century, SLO Triathlon, etc.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slo will be wayyyyy less crowded. The wine country roads around Paso Robles are great for riding, as well as out toward Lake Santa Margurita. Cal Poly has an incredible swim stadium, built with my tuition funds that I never got to use (it opened the year AFTER I graduated). Winter in SLO is not nearly as wet as Auburn nor is it anywhere near as cold.

I would go SLO all the way, unless you also like to ski, because Tahoe is just up the hill one hour from Auburn. I'm an XC skier so I would be tempted by Auburn for that reason alone.

Either place would be fun, SLO is more expensive too. All of my Family still lives down there and they love it.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Carl Spackler [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLO is a gem. They have a 50 m pool at a city park, and nice pools at Cal Poly and Cuesta JC. The cycling is wonderful. There is a huge active cycling community in SLO. Plenty of back roads, hilly beautiful wine country terrain. Lots of mountain biking and hiking trails. Weather is nearly perfect. The beach is 10 minutes away. Winter weather is sweet - usually in the 60's.

Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: San Luis Obispo or Auburn area [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, those nice lakes might be a bit cold in the winter months.

To the OP--for the winter? SLO for sure.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: San Luis Obispo or Auburn area [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. What about Santa Clarita, any other towns worth looking into?
My criteria are: 50 M pool ( lakes will be too cold for me), good cycling, temps not lower than 40, trail running would be nice, but i can run anywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I live in SLO. I've never been to Auburn, but I have a hard time imagining that it is a better winter training location than SLO.

I'll write more later or PM me...gotta get to work.

Cheers,
Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for the winter months SLO is easily the better choice. On a year round basis it is a tougher call.

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Auburn, went to college in SLO.
So, winter months, meaning Dec to Mar? Clearly, the nicer weather is SLO!!!!

Both would have hills. Sure is a lot more to do around auburn than SLO. I can be at Reno in 1:45. I can be in Tahoe in 1:15 or so.
I can be in Napa in 2 plus hours. Etc.

50 meter pool. I know there is a long one I swam at 2 years ago in Auburn. I think it is 33. Not sure if they are keeping open in the winter now.

Would be glad to try and answer questions for ya if you want more on Auburn. I am leaving for my 3 a week 30 mile training ride in the auburn hills in 6 hours.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: San Luis Obispo or Auburn area [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]

Put it to you this way........on one hand you have Bay Area folks being "critical" of the valley and the foothills...

...while on the other hand you have decade-long newspaper articles describing the modern trend for Bay Area folks to escape to Sacramento and the foothills to increase their quality of life....

SLO, for sure. [/reply]

The move from Bay area to valley was for cheap housing and that is why companies started moving to the Sac area also. I guess you could call that quality of life. But having lived in both places there is no doubt that Sacramento SUCKS and getting suckier by the day.
Quote Reply
Re: San Luis Obispo or Auburn area [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any big city is different. Some love it, others do not. I would not live in ANY big city, but on the other hand, being in the sticks is not for me either.
So, between SLO or Auburn, I love auburn!!! Much closer to so many more things to do!!! And, living on a lake does make it a little nicer also. :o)

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Napa, want to talk about fog, crowded roads, etc. No thanks

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lake I live on is not very deep, so it gets cold, and very hot. Folks water ski on it 12 months of the year, which I used to do. Water temp is getting closer
to me starting to do some open water swimming in it with my new T1 wetsuit. We will start swimming in Folsom in April for various races. Calif is great all
year round. :o)

dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>...while on the other hand you have decade-long newspaper articles describing the modern trend for Bay Area folks to escape to Sacramento and the foothills to increase their quality of life....<<

Yeah, and now the Sac traffic is as bad a LA!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny how we all get so provincial. Unfortunately most of the nice places in California are already too darn crowded and expensive. As a 3rd generation Californian, the only direction I want to go is north. There are still some pretty nice areas if you go far enough up state.
Quote Reply
Re: San Luis Obispo or Auburn area [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Any big city is different. Some love it, others do not. I would not live in ANY big city, but on the other hand, being in the sticks is not for me either.
So, between SLO or Auburn, I love auburn!!! Much closer to so many more things to do!!! And, living on a lake does make it a little nicer also. :o)

Dave [/reply]
Right, I wouldn't mind Auburn either although it has been a very long time since I've been there. Sacramento is just pure houses from Roseville to Folsom to Elk Grove to Davis. Very little open space in between all of that except for the River.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>remove all motor vehicles.<<

Yeah, but watch out for those cyclists and feral cats on that bike path! I believe both you and Hinds57 have been taken out on it, no?????

Really, I ~like~ Sac TO VISIT.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, but how about Santa Clarita CA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that was a big gang area.

Dave

Quote Reply