Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to get some icing (speed) when your cake is not that thick yet (monster base)
Quote | Reply
There is another thread on the go about when you know if you can do speedwork (icing) or do you keep working on baking your cake (base).

Rather than debate the point, I know that we are all somewhat impatient. And frankly it gets boring shuffling along for months on end. Is this the best way to get fast. Who knows? But what I am going to suggest is a way to spice up the run training, while working a bit harder, gaining some speed, without the "high risk" of track type speedwork.

Here is my suggestion so get some more speed in there without cooking yourself for your swim-bike training and also minimizing injury potential while hopefully getting a bit quicker.

Before you start speedwork, gradually introduce more hillwork into your runs.

Try and find a route with steep uphills and gradual downhills (or at least downhills that are not too steep). I have a few blocks in my neigbourhood where I do loops...run up the steep uphill and fast down the gradual downhill. The downhills are not steep enough that I have to "brake"...more lilke 2-4% where I am more or less running the same way as on a flat...just with some gravity assist.

The steep uphill will tax you aerobically, without too much pounding. The gradual downhill will allow you to run fast but at a low aerobic load, so that you can be coordinated and light on your feet and minimize pounding.

The benefit here is that you are not pounding your legs at the same time that your muscles are deprived of oxygen. You are either partially deprived of oxygen going uphill (or at least working hard) or you have totally muscular control with muscles completely charged with O2 as you run downhill.

You get the benefit of fast leg speed on the downhill as well as higher aerobic load on the uphill without the injury risk of high leg speed (and pounding) while sucking wind when you combine both.

Most of us get injured when we combine the two....but you can have a bit of icing even if your cake is not too thick yet by doing steeper uphill with gradual downhill work. In fact, for anyone racing half Ironman or more, this is all that is likely needed, and likely more beneficial with respect to mimicing what you'll actually experience on race day....all the dudes frying their bodies doing sub 6 min miles repeats on the track in training when it does not count (ie you are not wearing a timing chip) may be looking at your butt on race day.

Finally I'd say this is a nice way to "thicken your cake more quickly" compared to just shuffling out more steady state miles for months on end...and it is more fun. Only you can be the judge on how often and with what intensity you will do this, and when to introduce it.

I find this approach much lower risk with almost the same reward (for age group triathletes) as flat out speedwork. Good luck

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: How to get some icing (speed) when your cake is not that thick yet (monster base) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved your use of words Dev :)

And, FWIW, I like the approach. I have a route that I do similar as well that I have just naturally gravitated to. I'm not sure it makes any real difference to me though (compared with real hill repeats or speed work that is). Probably a very good idea for athletes on the injury bubble though.

Nice post. Now go have your cake and eat it too :)

Re: How to get some icing (speed) when your cake is not that thick yet (monster base) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The benefit here is that you are not pounding your legs at the same time that your muscles are deprived of oxygen. You are either partially deprived of oxygen going uphill (or at least working hard) or you have totally muscular control with muscles completely charged with O2 as you run downhill."

Can you or someone else explain what this means. I have never heard this before...and i been into sports all my life and have read more than one book in this subjekt. Why should you hurt more b/c you are pounding your legs when they are deprived of oxygen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I think the hills really do help. Due to geography around here where I live, just about all my runs are on hills. The only negative is that running down paved roads is very hard on my knees and lower back. I try to run paved hills only once per week and remaining hill training on trails.

I had never thought of hill training for speed but for strength but perhaps they are pretty much related.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get some icing (speed) when your cake is not that thick yet (monster base) [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is making up terms to describe the idea that running downhill hard is particularly taxing and carries a high risk of injury. Basically, old school running lore holds that running downhill hard carries a much higher injury risk than plain old downhill running or plain old hard running.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get some icing (speed) when your cake is not that thick yet (monster base) [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"The benefit here is that you are not pounding your legs at the same time that your muscles are deprived of oxygen. You are either partially deprived of oxygen going uphill (or at least working hard) or you have totally muscular control with muscles completely charged with O2 as you run downhill."

Can you or someone else explain what this means. I have never heard this before...and i been into sports all my life and have read more than one book in this subjekt. Why should you hurt more b/c you are pounding your legs when they are deprived of oxygen?
I'm pretty sure Dev invented that while writing it, using his extensive knowledge in exercise physiology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I am trying to say is that when you are sucking wind and your legs feel like rubber they don't work that well. They have less bounce, and you loose some coordination. That is usually when bad things happen. Its not that much different than basketball players or hockey players in the last 10 minutes of a game or a downhill skier doing the last run on a hard day of skiing when everything is burning and then they put their foot in the wrong place or wrong angle and a body part gives.

Paulo, I may have less book knowledge, but when it comes to the real world...well, I'll just leave it at that. I'd rather that this thread be an exchange of information for people who want to discuss their experiences than a pissing contest between guys trying to stroke their egos throwing studies and book knowledge at one another and being critical of one another's knowledge, thereby shutting down the free exchange of ideas

Thanks.

Dev
Last edited by: devashish paul: Mar 21, 07 16:12
Quote Reply