Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vittoria Triathlon EVO CS - Tubular Tire
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any info/opinions about these tires? I've never used them before but am thinking of giving them a try. I can't figure out why they have the word "triathlon" in the title. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Triathlon EVO CS - Tubular Tire [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are badass all around.

Excellent rolling resistance to puncture resistance ratio. I've got a boatload of them and haven't punctured yet in several thousand miles.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Triathlon EVO CS - Tubular Tire [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They are badass all around.

Excellent rolling resistance to puncture resistance ratio. I've got a boatload of them and haven't punctured yet in several thousand miles.

Chris

Wow, thanks, that certainly isa glowing review. Thousands of miles? I take it you train on tubulars as well as racing?

Thanks,
-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I belive Normann Stadler rode a special edition Vittoria at Kona. Perhaps this is that tire. I seem to recall the tires he rode with were something like 50-100% heavier than standard vittoria tubbies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 60/40 tubular to clincher for training, and all racing including road, tt, and triathlon.

I ride Vittoria Corsa CX Triathlon, Clement Criterium (same tire), and the Vittoria EVO Corsa CX. All of them are similarly badass.

I always figured mine say 'Triathlon' because they are 650c, but maybe that's not the case.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Triathlon EVO CS - Tubular Tire [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I belive Normann Stadler rode a special edition Vittoria at Kona. Perhaps this is that tire. I seem to recall the tires he rode with were something like 50-100% heavier than standard vittoria tubbies.

Hmmm, that's an interesting number. The vittoria site has then listed at 190g, and their CRONO EVO tires listed at 170. 50-100% heavier would make for a pretty beefy tire.

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just seem to recall he rode some vittoria prototype tire that was in the 300-400g range per tire. I will have to look for that later. For now, I've got to head out on my bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hay

I think the tri has a different tube (butyl) inside so it doesn't lose air over night.
So it might not be as fast as other tires they make.

good luck in AZ

Thom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are they to get on a wheel the first time? Super tight so you break your thumbs? Or not so bad?

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a lot of stretching so I haven't had any trouble so far. Haven't had to put on on in a race though (since I haven't flatted), and I carry a tufo that folds up really small and is basically puncture proof as my backup so I don't end up stranded in a race. I figure that once I have flatted, I don't care so much about Crr as I do about making it to the finish line.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I do a lot of stretching so I haven't had any trouble so far. Haven't had to put on on in a race though (since I haven't flatted), and I carry a tufo that folds up really small and is basically puncture proof as my backup so I don't end up stranded in a race. I figure that once I have flatted, I don't care so much about Crr as I do about making it to the finish line.

Chris

Yeah, I was talking about new on a wheel, not in a race. So you stretch them a bit and then they go on? Sounds pretty good. Have you used the Crono EVO vs. the Triathlon EVO? Looks like the only difference is latex vs. butyl tubes.

Thanks,
-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Looks like the only difference is latex vs. butyl tubes.
That's an important difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering his experience with flats the previous year at Kona, i would not be surprised if he opted for puncture resistance above all else, weight be damned.
Quote Reply
Re: Vittoria Triathlon EVO CS - Tubular Tire [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Looks like the only difference is latex vs. butyl tubes.
That's an important difference.

How so? I honestly don't know. I know that butyl holds air longer, and I've heard that latex has slightly lower rolling resistance. Does butyl have better puncture resistance? Does the puncture resistance of butyl (if it exists) trump the lower RR of latex?

Thanks,
-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubulars with latex tubes have better rolling resistance than the ones with butyl tubes. The difference is considerable, but for more talk to jens.

Good luck with comparing rolling resistance to puncture resistance ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they are kinda like TUFO tires ;-)
but they hole air longer !

Dirt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Yeah, I realized that was impossible as soon as I typed it. Not sure why I left it in... I guess what I was trying to ask is this: are latex tubes so unreliable that their improvement in RR is useless?

What does The Sergio ride?

-C

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Yeah, I realized that was impossible as soon as I typed it. Not sure why I left it in... I guess what I was trying to ask is this: are latex tubes so unreliable that their improvement in RR is useless?

What does The Sergio ride?

-C

No.
Dugast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some old-school 18mm Cronos that are definitely latex. They haven't been glued yet -- still waiting for the right project that needs a super narrow, super light tire to come along. Possibly an extra set of LEWs with ti spokes and tune hubs to bring the weight down under 950g. Not a lot of reason to do that though.

My non-EVO Corsa CX's (several years old) say 'Triathlon' and lose air over ~2 days. They are would appear to be latex.
My EVO Corsa CX's (pretty new) do not say 'Triathlon' and lose air over ~3 days. They are definitely latex.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding a set right now. Only have 300 mile on them, but so far so good. Very nice ride. Everything you would expect from tubies and Vittoria wrapped up in one delicious vittoria tubular goodness

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply