Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Torque question
Quote | Reply
I just took the plunge and bought a Cervelo P2C. I love it. There must be some hidden motor somewhere on the bike. The question I have is about changing out the pedals on the FSA carbon cranks. I have a torque wrench that has meters, not cm. Is 4.5 KG per meter the same as 450 KG per cm? I figure this is the case, as it is simple math, but wanted to make sure that I didn't need to go out and buy a better torque wrench before possibly destroying a $3,000 beauty. Any advice about where to find allen wrench sockets for a torque wrench?
Quote Reply
Re: Torque question [trirookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a torque wrench that has meters, not cm. Is 4.5 KG per meter the same as 450 KG per cm? I figure this is the case, as it is simple math
Apparently not that simple...
Quote Reply
Re: Torque question [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to convert it you would need to divide by 100, not multiply 4.5 kg/m *( 1 m/100cm) = kg/cm so 4.5 kg/m = 0.045 kg/cm. but i think you want kg*m anyway, so 4.50 kg*m would be 450 kg*cm

-mte
Last edited by: theReflexx: Mar 21, 07 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Torque is force TIMES distance, not divided by distance.

So 4.5 kg*m is the same as 450 kg*cm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe after 16 years of bike maintenance and building my own bikes, I'm missing something. I've never stripped threads, never locked a bolt so tight I couldn't easily get it out, never had a part come off a bike during a ride.......

I've never used a torque wrench. I know pretty much how tight to put in a bb, how tight to put on a pedal, how tight to make the chainring bolts, etc, etc.

I've built lots of carbon bikes and aluminum bikes. The only problem I ever had was with the AeroConcepts Titanium aerobar I had ( I sold it). The ti bolts had a tendency to back out over our rough roads. It could be that I do LOTS of bike maintence. I break down and rebuild all my bikes every 6 months, but also do lots of regular maintence nearly daily.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just push the button that switches between units.

I bought my sockets from McMaster. They have a better variety than any local stores and I don't have to use adapters.
Quote Reply