Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is the ideal tri basebar sloped, not flat?
Quote | Reply
On the front page under ascending and tri-bike technique, Dan maintains that one should always be in the aerobars unless you are standing for climbing or descending where you need to grasp the brakes. He states that "But the reverse is also true. If your hip angle is too obtuse you also suffer a loss of power. Yes, sitting up while you're climbing feels better. But what happens to your power?"

On a long steep hill (slow speeds) I'm usually out on the basebar... If I don't want to be in the aero bars 100% of the time while climbing, would I be better off with a sloped basebar so that my hip angle is not too obtuse?
Quote Reply
Re: Is the ideal tri basebar sloped, not flat? [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have to decide what the base bar means to you. if you're a TT racer, it's probably the drops. if you're a triathlete, it's probably the hoods.

but if it's the hoods when out of the saddle, it's something else entirely when you're in the saddle, because the saddle is oriented differently versus the BB on a tri bike versus a road bike.

but your question also relates to something i'm going to write about this year, but i haven't written about yet, and that is the proper vertical orientation between the hand's contact point on the pursuit bar and the armrests. since armrest elevations are all over the place now (versus the centerline of the stem's attachment to the pursuit bar), oughtn't there be several pursuit bar profiles (e.g., flat, 15 degree drop) to choose from, depending on whether you spec a high or low profile armrest on your bike?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may find that you're more comfortable while seated. But you'll have to bend over quite a bit while you're standing.

That would be the tradeoff.

I don't know what kind of aerobars you're running, but some allow for a decent position when you choke up on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the ideal tri basebar sloped, not flat? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a winner.

I'm very eager to reveal the culmination of a 4 year project in 5 months.

-sd
Quote Reply
Re: Is the ideal tri basebar sloped, not flat? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Felt aero/base bar?

5 months?

At least it was on ST first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 months? JFC, that's quite the lead-time for the new Felt aero cockpit!

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No nothing that earth shattering, I'm detailing the evolution of high rise clip on bars with threaded headsets to the current slammed intergrated headsets w/o spacers -17 degree stems and pads mounted atop the base bars w/o risers.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding the OP, that's why you see a huuuge number of pros riding the "PRO" aerobars with their sloped ends...easier to get a good sprinting angle and way lower than a regular flat basebar like the Visiontech. I've been trying for at least a year now to get Vision to introduce a plain basebar like their current one, but with the arms angled down at about 15 degrees. This would help me a lot in my climbing position on very steep hills, where a flat basebar puts my upper body too far back. No luck so far... :(

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Is the ideal tri basebar sloped, not flat? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano might have something to do with that as well.

-sD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply