Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is IMLP doomed for me?
Quote | Reply
Have had a nagging hip injury that appeared in Dec 06. I've been going to the ortho, now to PT to deal with it. Basically, I can run ok, it doesn't hurt when running, but then cannot put weight on my left leg. Its right behind the point of hip, from the bone itself to into what I think is a lower back muscle. Doesn't hurt when I do the elliptical or bike, so I've been doing elliptical and pool running 3x a week. I finally got the MRI yesterday, have the appointment with the doc in 2 weeks to see what the hell is going on. According to my PT and massage therapist I've seen, I'm aligned and straight, so that doesn't seem to be the issue either.

I'm really really hopeful that I'll get back into some running soon, but as that Ive been dealing with this on/off since December, reality is setting in. How late is too late? And yes, I can walk it, but I just dont' want lasting damage. I'm still thinking that worst case I'll swim and bike the course to be ready for next year, since its paid for, but I'll be sincerely disappointed and probably have to "forget" my running shoes so I won't be tempted to run!

Thanks, Amy
Quote Reply
Re: Is IMLP doomed for me? [serenitynow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're a strong swimmer and biker, you can power walk, jog walk/shuffle the mary. Have you done LP b4 ?
Its got some serious hills+downhills on the run course, which would be the most load bearing on your hip.

Like you said...its paid for. Go out and just enjoy the day and let the rest take care of itself.

Pop Glucosamine w/ Chondroitin like M&M's, learn how to really relax during your w/o's and we'll see ya there.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I have seen is sometimes people get injuries that "show up while running" but they are caused by biking, even though they don't show up while biking. If it is lower leg, I'd look at cleat position, knee, then seat height and if it is hip, the saddle fore and aft and tilt.

Are you one of those people that has their saddle pointing way downward in a forward position. I actually find the further forward you ride the tighter everything gets in the hip-hamstring-glute-lower back, especially where the hamstrings join the glutes. If you knee is moving more front to back than up and down, then that can be a source of tightness all around the hips (at least for myself with my bone geometry). Have a look at what you are doing on the bike to see if it is making you so tight that you cannot run without pain.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A quick calendar check reveals LP is July 22. Not to diminish your injury, but that is a long way off and things change. There are folks reading this, training like monsters for it, who feel strong as bulls that will get sidelined between now and then - and there are folks like you who are somewhat sidelined now that will be racing that day.

De-stress about the race - look at what you can do now for yourself, relax some. get Zen like about the injury and don't add the extra weight of LP or any other race into that bubble.

In My Opinion - It's not worth a whole lot of energy worrying about the race now when that energy can be applied to healing and the stress is counter productive. 3 and a half months is a LOT of healing time. Set your race expectations according to training quality / quantity.

But what do I know, my biggest problem will be avoiding getting trampled by all the previously 'injured' folks faster than me....

ed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies! I guess I just get worried, as we all do, with watching everyone doing their ten mile runs etc and I'm doing my 30 min in the pool! And the fact that the injury is still a mystery....

IF i were to miraculously heal come end of April, what kind of plan would you suggest to get in running shape that wouldn't cause reinjury?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No expert here but have been in your position more than once. Fortuneatly it has been awhile.

IMUSA 2005 about 12 weeks out I got some strange injure to my instep ankle area. Could barely swim, biking was horrid and running out of the questions. Mrs. ATX was training for it as well. I was eating like a guy putting in 20 hrs a week when I was doing very little. Gained a ton of weight I am still trying to get off.

I was able to start back on the elliptical and bike about 4 weeks out. I think I got my long run up to about 12 miles.

Come race day I felt great...didn't have the fitness to race all that well but had a blast.

My point is do what you can and do it well. You never know what will happen on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some woman walked the marathon at IMLP last year with a cane. The story goes that she had broken/sprained her ankle a couple of days before the event and said "screw it - if I can hobble, then I can still finish an IM."

She finished.
Quote Reply