Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3 Day stomach Bug (SETBACK?) Before IMAZ
Quote | Reply
I have been down and out for the past 3 days with this stomach bug that has somehow attacked my family! YIKES
Does anybody have any tips on getting back into my training? I'm 26 days from IMAZ (my first at this distance) an I feel like I've been set way back. Has anybody gone through this before and how did you get through?

Thanks
Jason

(TRICHILI)
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Day stomach Bug (SETBACK?) Before IMAZ [jfish359] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude,

3 days down is NO problem. You would need to miss like 10 days to really lose fitness. Just let your body recover you'll be fine. Once you feel good again get a few key workouts and do like a 16 day taper. you'll be good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason,

Three days is nothing. Just get rest and get well. We had the same thing in the family here. NOt much you can do about it. I survived on 18 hours of sleed a day, wheat crackers and Gatorade.

Good Luck in AZ,
Paul

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Day stomach Bug (SETBACK?) Before IMAZ [Rockhopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cam brown had 2-3 days down 2-3 days before ironman nz!...and he still won!

so yeah...don't worry about it ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, a month ago I got the flu and missed 12 consecutive days of training. And I missed 3-4 days two weeks ago with a cold. This freakin' winter I got the flu once and cold 4 times. I missed tons of training. I was concerned but now I'm feeling pretty good and, in a weird way, it may have helped me. I may not be quite as fast as I had hoped, but I feel great leading up to the race. I'm sure missing 3 days didn't hurt you at all. You'll be fine.

Don't worry about how to get back into training. Start off a little bit easier than before you went down. It'll probably take only a day or two, then bring back up the intensity and distance.
Last edited by: JonathanJCR: Mar 21, 07 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, listen to the recent Podcast from The Competitors. They interviewed Cam Brown and he had a nasty stomach bug on Wednesday and Thursday before IMNZ. He even had dinner at McDonalds on Friday night before the race.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: 3 Day stomach Bug (SETBACK?) Before IMAZ [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had two pretty bad cases of gastroenteritis (stomach bug) within 6 weeks in Dec and Jan, thanks to daycare germs brought home from the little ones. As bad as a Stomach bug feels at the time, it's much easier on the body than an upper respritory infection. I was down for three days, but like magic, as soon as your system clears, you are back to normal. The same can't be said for a cold. Either way, this should not effect IMAZ at all. Just get hydration back to normal levels as quickly as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stomach bug...Ha! Let me guess, you have children that go to daycare, or have friends who had it that go to daycare.

In my family that stomach bug is known as "The Plague". It hit my family around December and it was the worst 3 day illness I've EVER had. I'm not a germ-o-phobe, but after it ran its course I disinfected everything in my house with lysol, so we wouldn't get it again. Our house was like a hot zone.
My daughter picked it up from my nephew and the thing is super contagious. Since November every family that I know of with a child in daycare or preschool has gotten this evil bug. It's an epidemic.
That said, in 3 days I was fine, in 7 I was training like it never happened. Good luck.
Quote Reply