Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Victoria BC PROs & AG's Needed
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

I am doing a magazine story on Victoria and why it is the 'tri mecca' of Canada.

I do not want to focus on the weather but instead want to lean towards the reason why you came other than the weather. Perhaps some tales of rides or runs, favourites or disastrous attempts.

What are your reasons for staying and competing in the 'mecca'

I would especially love some comments from the national team folks.

Thanks in advance.

And make sure to leave your real name so I can give credit for a quote where necessary.

Brian

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria BC PROs & AG's Needed [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian, is this aimed at Canadian Triathlon magazine? If not I would be interested in seeing the final article as I am intrigued why so many people are based in what seems an area restricted for quiet roads outside of the city and Highway 1. As a disclaimer I would like to state that I have only visited Victoria on a couple of occasions but have been to the island a number of times. Good luck with your article and please advise when it goes into print.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria BC PROs & AG's Needed [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is for Triathlon Magazine Canada and I am looking all types of info.

I know where I ride, swim and run etc... places like the observatory, east saanich, thetis and elk lake etc.

I am looking for what brought folks here initially.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Victoria and moved away in 1996 (for a woman. Dumb mistake) but my parents still live there today and there is just something about the laidback lifestyle that the island has. The best part about living in Victoria is that it only takes about 20 minutes to get anywhere and everywhere.

The race scene is not that bad and they now have 2 half irons, lots of shorter races and some of the best training places. Elk/Beaver lake for your runs and along the waterfront. Thetis lake for your swims. I remember as a kid jumping off the rocks there and thinking that there was no way I would ever swim out to the rocks to jump in. I would walk around. Years later I was doing 2.5 loops of the lake and thinking that I could go farther. I do hate the weeds at the back when you loop around the island but it is not all bad.

The bike rides that you can do are also very cool. I remember heading up to Duncan (Cowichan Lake was the turn around) in 1996 as a training ride for Ironman. Coming down the Malahat at over 86 kph was amazing and passing cars while they look at you like you are crazy. We made it too Cowichan Lake and on the way back decided to take the ferry back over to Brentwood Bay. From there all the way back to town it hailed and rained like I have never seen. It was the best ride that I think I have ever done. Just amazing. You can take the ferry over to Port Angeles and ride up Hurrican Ridge. I think it was just under 2 hours up, burger at the top, 28 minutes down. Another great ride with good Mexican food near the ferry terminal for the ferry ride back. Hey a guy has to eat.

I have gone back to do the NTTC Ultimate training camp a few years ago and had a lot of fun hanging out and learning from Simon, Peter and the other that help out. I swam early on with Neil H. as my masters coach in 1996 and it was great to be back over there getting tips about my swimming. Lance and Lucy helped with my running and the rides up the Observatory and out near the Dump were very fun as well.

I even remember the first day that Peter started working at the Running Room when he first moved to Victoria and seeing him ride around town on his Softride.

I think the best part is that you can be in town and have such a diverse following of athletes. You can show up for a run in the old days and have Peter Reid, Roland Green, Andres Hesler and many other top athlete out for a run and then head to the swimming pool and some of them were there as well.

I am not sure what it is like to train there today but some of the best times I ever had training were in Victoria. Can not make a good living there like you can in Vancouver but man you can have some of the best training in the world.
Last edited by: Bman: Mar 20, 07 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, I will be in the mecca this weekend for a Nineteen wetsuit promo at Frontrunners on Sunday.

Looking forward to it.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria BC PROs & AG's Needed [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Brian, we swam at Thetis last year and enjoyed watching the deer as we walked back to the car. Does the NTTC Ultimate training camp still run? That would be tempting for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Julian,

I am not sure that it is still going but you can email them to find out.

nttc@pacificsport.com

I think it was $550 for the whole week and you get a video analysis of your swimming which was very cool.

I liked it and when I did it in 2004 it was a lot of fun. I think there is some pictures on the website still.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers Brian, I will try that. What does NTTC stand for National Triathlon Training Centre? Just collected my EC90 bars from the sorting office, any news on your components? I haven't received an email re shipping so guess some parts might be outstanding at the moment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will PM you again. Just did but I will update you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is for Triathlon Magazine Canada and I am looking all types of info.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Brian. I look forward to reading in a future edition, any chance of a heads up near the time?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it Brian. I stupidly posted here before checking my PMs, doh!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the Vic story will be in the July issue.

I did a piece on Ostomyathlete from ST, one on triathlon school (whitfield and jazz's project) and lucy smith in the recent past.

thanks

B

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks B I'll be sure to look out for that. Where was the piece on Ostomyathlete published? I should like to read that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was in triathlon magazine Canada also. I think that John might have link from his site...not sure on that though. I am away from home or I would send you a copy.

B

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Julian,

PM me with an email address and I can send you a electronic copy of Brian's writing.

Brian,

If I can help you in anyway with your next article I'd be pleased to.

Some of my thoughts on why Victoria is such a draw for triathletes: I think it started back with the Commonwealth Games. You know what they say about "if you build it they will come"; those games left us with really good infrastructure, great training facilities for swimming and cycling and when those coaches came here, they stayed and kept there athletes here and brought new ones in. Those athletes help coach the AG clubs around town too. It is the "best place on earth" if I can rip-off the gov't saying... Great cyclists here in Roland, Seamus, Alison and Ryder... Fantastic swimmers... there's lots of crossover with the triathletes (Jasper wrote about training with Team Gigabike on his blog) PacSport as an organization has a lot to do with the way the elites train together and develop outside of the traditional 3-disciplines.

Cheers

No body plans to fail...
ostomyathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria BC PROs & AG's Needed [ostomyathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks John,

If you can, mention this article to anyone you're training with, if you've been able to get back out there.

Sitting here in Kingston, I haven't been able to get out at all on the bike and running has been dangerous with several spills....man I miss the weather of home.

B

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian you summed up Victoria very well..........Thanks! You miss us don't you?
Quote Reply
Re: Victoria BC PROs & AG's Needed [Marc I] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For training I do very much. For the lifestyle there and what Victoria offers other than training no. I do like Vancouver and living out in South Surrey is very much like Victoria just without the great training areas.
Quote Reply