Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Optimal Swim Hand Entry Position
Quote | Reply
Ok swim gurus....

I'm a MOP swimmer -- 27 min Oly (1500M), 35 min HIM (1900M), 1:17 ITU LC (4000M) with a pretty low stroke count and pseudo-TI technique. The recent arm recovery thread got me thinking. What's the best swim hand entry position? Close to your head TI style? After a long forward reach through the air? Or somewhere in between? [thanks!]

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: lschmidt: Mar 20, 07 0:14
Re: Optimal Swim Hand Entry Position [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, lshcmidt!

Bump for the Tuesday crowd. Any other opinions? Any early entry TI disciples out there?

Quote Reply
Re: Optimal Swim Hand Entry Position [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My master swim coaches suggest a little further out then the traditional TI stroke which I was doing. I've gone out a little further and agree that I'm not pushing through the water as much and I'm able to start my catch just a little bit sooner.

FWIW.... I'm no swim guru, didn't start swimming until I was 32 (36 now), but have posted a 29m HIM and a 1:04:5x IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why on earth would you want your hand to enter close to your head?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anywhere you can enter it without producing a splash.
Quote Reply
Re: Optimal Swim Hand Entry Position [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
why on earth would you want your hand to enter close to your head?
TI suggests it to create a long waterline to improve "hull speed" (keep arm(s) extended underwater as much as possible). By slicing your hand in early with your arm angled somewhat downward, they claim it helps body position in the water by sort of creating a "bowplane" effect to lower your head/torso and raise hips/legs. It also (supposedly) eliminates pushing down with your hand on entry which would otherwise have the effect of applying a torque to your body resulting in lowering your hips and legs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.
I think I reach out... I don't think about it, I just swim.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The TI entry position generally leads to a dropped elbow which make it very difficult to achieve and hold a catch .

Entering the water, as Bill Sweetenham suggests, fingertips first with your upper arm inwardly roatated (think the inside of you elbow pointing down) puts you in the optimum entry and catch position.

Also, your hand should enter about shoulder width - that should give you a fair idea of how far out to reach - arm extended, shoulder width apart, fingertips first.
Quote Reply
Re: Optimal Swim Hand Entry Position [alisterrussell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with advice below. Would like to add that a way to find the proper entry spot in the front is to do catch up stroke or one arm swimming. The recovering arm's hand should enter in line with the shoulder somewhere between the crease of the elbow and the wrist of the extended arm. So, probably a little farther than TI recommends but not as far as you can reach (which also tends to result in a dropped elbow). I like to have it enter then extend a bit as I shrug my shoulder upon completion of rotation.

-leh

In Reply To:
The TI entry position generally leads to a dropped elbow which make it very difficult to achieve and hold a catch .

Entering the water, as Bill Sweetenham suggests, fingertips first with your upper arm inwardly roatated (think the inside of you elbow pointing down) puts you in the optimum entry and catch position.

Also, your hand should enter about shoulder width - that should give you a fair idea of how far out to reach - arm extended, shoulder width apart, fingertips first.
Quote Reply