Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

knee ?'s; is it bad to have your knees in front of your toes?
Quote | Reply
Someone recently told me that its bad to bend in any way where your knees end up in front of your toes. I must have been drunk or something because for the life of me I can't remember who said it or any of the details. This conversation got me thinking because I am pretty rough on my knees; I sit indian style, kneeling, some funky cross legged position in my computer chair, and so on. I'm put my knees in some strange angles and think I may be damaging them in some way. Is this posture going to decrease the useful life of my knees? Is it bad to put your knees in front of your toes?
Quote Reply
Re: knee ?'s; is it bad to have your knees in front of your toes? [Dave G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not know about this statement used in general, but is is true for squats or lunges. Your knees should not move forward of your toes because it puts more stress on the knee joint. Maybe that is what your friend was referring to???

Jeff

Pain is weakness leaving the body
Quote Reply
Re: knee ?'s; is it bad to have your knees in front of your toes? [Dave G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a weight bearing position having the knee moving past the toes switches some of the load off of the muscles and onto the ligaments (particularly the ACL). Isolated incidents aren't a big deal, but repeated or under hevay loading can actually stretch or damage the ligament.

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started having knee problems when I spent a lot of time with my knees bent more than 90 degrees -- changing my kids' diapers with them laying on the floor. I try to never do this now including weight training. Also had my foot go numb as I used to sit on it while working on the computer.
Quote Reply