Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

13 Months Later.... Stress Fracture
Quote | Reply
On February 16, 2006, I went to the ortho with pain of/in between 2nd & 3rd metatarsals. Felt kind of like morton's neuroma. Like I had in the other foot, about a year earlier, in between the same metatarsals.

I trained through IMLP with this pain with the intentions to lay off the feet for a while afterwards to allow all to heal.

I raced IMLP and really screwed up my ankle from running on the outside of my foot for 26.2 miles or I really should say 18 or so miles before it became a 5 mile death walk before I was able to muster up the strength to run thru the pain for the final 3 miles. anyway.....

So I laid off, but I did not really follow up with any physicians.

In the meantime, I still had isolated metatarsal pain and I also came down with Plantar Fasciitis after kicking a soccer ball around with the kids. I did see my podiatrist for the PF and ended up wearing a boot to bed for a number of weeks, while starting a vigorous stretching routine to try to stretch out the fascia and conquer the heal pain that I now had in conjunction with the metatarsal pain. Speaking with the podiatrist we thought that because my 2nd metatarsal bone is the longest, that the tight fascia could be the culprit of the pain that I've been experiencing for months. I stretched and stretched and stretched my fascia and calf muscles and have quickly "curred" the PF without relief of the metatarsal pain.

Last Friday I had an MRI and receive the results this morning. Stress Fracture of the 2nd metatarsal head coupled with tendinitis of the joint of my second toe.

Pick up a boot tonight and am told that I'll be wearing that thing for a month. (I will be going crazy, I'm a fast walker by nature and this thing is going to slow me down at the office.)

From a tri season, I'm OK with it. I was planning on taking it easy this year anyway with Timberman being the only race of the season. As long as I can heal up within 4 weeks, maybe, just maybe I'll still be able to have a good race in August.
Quote Reply
Re: 13 Months Later.... Stress Fracture [TGL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call your doc and ask a/b a bone growth stimulator...The donjoy OL1000 is the one you want...

J

If it's not fun...don't do it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stress fractures usually take SIX TO EIGHT weeks to heal: don't count on it being healed in four. And don't push it to get back into running, because most likely you'll crack it again and then you have to start alllllllllllllll over.

With a metatarsal sfx, you're pretty limited to just swimming, and be careful not to nail the turns when you push off. Maybe water running too?

Make sure you're getting enough calcium: 1000-2000 mg a day (not more than 2000, it has adverse affects if you get too much) and no more than 500mg at a time. Viactive calcium chews are great (and they don't taste completely horrible :P ) if you want to supplement it; otherwise, yogurt/milk/cheese/tofu/almonds/soymilk/spinach/broccoli are good sources.

Sending wishes that it heals well; stress fractures SUCK.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: 13 Months Later.... Stress Fracture [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that information.... I was thinking about calcium supplementation and it's been long already what's a few more weeks. I think the tough part will be the weekends and working around the yard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also am suffering from a stress fracture and have been in a boot for 6 weeks to this point and have 2 more weeks. Living in a warm weather site my races are all early season and late season and my spring season is over. Be patient because it is a slow process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have kids... make them do the yardwork! It's good for them. And really, don't put any more pressure on your foot than you have to.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious how bad does a sfx hurt? I've been having pain on the left side of my foot mostly after I run. I feel it durring the day but it barely hurts. I cut back my running and it doesn't hurt too much while I am running. I'm thinking it's just a deep bruise but a little worried its an sfx. Any thoughts from your experience?
Quote Reply
Re: 13 Months Later.... Stress Fracture [SURFINGSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it doesn't hurt that bad when I'm running. I ignored it for months and even after taking 5 months off from running the area was still swollen and tender. Now, when the doc takes thier finger and pushes right in the right spot, you'll hear me give out a little "OOOOOOO" that hurts.

I'll mention that I also have tendonitis and some arthritis going on in the 1st & 2nd meta head.... so I'm not really sure if the pain is from just a stress fx or everything combined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waterjog.

Get yourself an iPod and a waterproof carrier (I use otterbox) or some other waterproof player and a waterjogging belt (I got mine for cheap at swimoutlet.com) and start running. Or better yet, find a friend to waterjog with you. It's harder than you think.

I did an 11 mile run on Sunday after mostly water jogging for 4 weeks. I did one 3.5 mile run each week, but water jogged 3 times a week. Most of my sessions were 45-60 min, but each week I did a long run of 1:15-1:30 (Even with music/audio books 1:30 was all I could stand). I started the 11 mile run slower than I would normally, but was able to pick up the pace :30 sec per mile on each of the last 5 miles.

it's boring, but it works.
Quote Reply