Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: Why so much to mail a bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote | Reply
I took a bike to local drop off point (pack-n-mail) to send UPS/FedEx. This is a bike in the standard cardboard bike box they come in.....43# total. The guy wanted over a $120!! Help.
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Why so much to mail a bike!!!!!!!!!!!!! [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USPS oversize flat rate is (or at least was) $40. Don't pay $120 unless they're putting it in its own air ride truck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call USPS and get their exact size measurements before they hit you with the size surcharge (total = LxWxD). Many bike boxes can be found that come in JUST under this (bike apart of course). Should be from $25-40 this way.

Quote | Reply
I mailed a bike thru my LBS with UPS and it only cost $30. LBS boxed the bike for me.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a thread a few months ago...UPS and FedEx changed the structure of their OS charges and bike boxes are often more expensive than before now as they are subject to dimensional weight pricing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, UPS and Fedex both eliminated the Oversize 1, 2 and 3 designations at the beginning of the year. Now, boxes over 3 cubic feet go with their actual dimensional weight. Multiply the length x width x height and divide by 194. That will give you the dim. weight.
Or, you can just go to the websites (UPS.com or Fedex.com) and enter in the info for the shipment and find out their published rate. For packages over 3 cubic feet, the price has definitely gone up!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply