Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shopping for a route: Long Rides From the Southbay?
Quote | Reply
I’m used to living in places where I can hop on my bike and go for long rides with minimal interference from traffic signals and stop signs. Now I find myself in Torrance, CA (2 miles from PCH in Redondo Beach) and I’m looking for a long ride that I can do from my front door. It’s okay if I have to deal with some ‘traffic’ before I hit the open road, but I’m looking for a good route. Do I head north towards Santa Monica/Malibu, or south through Palos Verdes towards Long Beach//Huntington Beach?

I’d like to get down in the aerobars and ride steady for a few hours without too much bullshit. My original plan is to put my bike in my truck tomorrow morning and ride from Valencia/Ojai/Ventura/Valencia…or Thousand Oaks/Camarillo/Zuma Beach/Thousand Oaks ….maybe these are the best choices?

Any ideas for a long ride route from my present location would be appreciated

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Shopping for a route: Long Rides From the Southbay? [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Torrance too. My favorite route is a loop around Palos Verdes. I take Palos Verdes BLvd toward PV and head on PV Dr West when it branches off. Then I take it all the way around to the Trump Golf Course and make a left to go up the switchbacks on PV Dr East. After a big downhill I make a left onto PV Dr North which takes you all the way back to PV Blvd. This is a 27 mile loop from my house. There is about 2000 ft of climbing total. If you want more mileage just do it twice. There are relatively few lights and stop signs along the way so you can ride steady. There is a good bit of climbing though, at least for me.

You could also try the LA Tri Club. I just joined and get emails about group rides every week. I have yet to try one though.
Quote Reply
Re: Shopping for a route: Long Rides From the Southbay? [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely head North as Long Beach sucks. Head North and hit the Santa Monica Mnts for your long rides. LA Tri club used to have a weekly ride that started in Redondo and went into the Santa Monica Mnts.

Once past Santa Monica you can ride North all the way to...San Francisco. Or just head to Oxnard and turn around. That gives you plenty of miles to stay aero as you will have some nice winds heading South while you fight your way towards Oxnard (around Point Magu).

Or take the road bike and climb some good roads. Since you are living here you must ride:
- Latigo Canyon
- Encinal Canyon
- Las Flores

You can take any of those roads and do a loop. Go to google maps and come up with a ride. The only roads I would avoid are Kanan. Don't take that one to climb. With the exception of the little stretch after Latigo spits you out onto Kanan Rd. Take it for a mile or so and then turn right onto Mulholland. You can then take Mulholland to Stunt, climb Stunt, and take Schlueren to Las Flores to go back down to PCH. A fun ride for anyone that enjoys some scenery and a good amount of climbing.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get in you car and drive up the 101 to Pismo Beach and we will ride your butt into the ground tommorow in beautiful San Luis Obispo County.