Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Solana Beach cyclist hit&run fatality - warning: unpleasant content
Quote | Reply

Oh this sucks...Anybody heard anything about who the rider is? ("well known in the area, wearing helmet"):

http://www.signonsandiego.com/...441-bn16cyclist.html

I'm annoyed that the photo caption reads 'collision "between" bike and car' as though it
was anything less than one sided.

Woman cyclist, 40, killed in Solana Beach hit-run

By Debbi Farr BakerUNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM2:41 p.m. March 16, 2007
DEBBI FARR BAKER / Union-TribuneDeputies investigate the fatal colision between a bicyclist and a car on the popular Highway 101 route today.SOLANA BEACH – A 40-year-old woman riding a bicycle along the coast highway in Solana Beach Friday was hit and killed by an SUV whose driver failed to stop. Authorities said the driver was arrested at his home in Escondido an hour and a half later.
The woman, a Solana Beach resident, was riding on North Highway 101 and was near Solana Vista Drive just before noon when she was run down by the SUV, whose driver veered into the bike lane, said sheriff's Sgt. Randy Webb.
“He clipped her and did not stop,” Webb said.
The impact threw the woman against a small tree, Webb said. Her crushed bicycle ended up on the sidewalk some 70 feet away.
A doctor who was passing by attended to the woman, but she died minutes after the accident.
Webb said the crash was witnessed by a senior volunteer with the sheriff's department who followed the driver of the older red Toyota 4-Runner and called in with the license number.
That number led police to the SUV's owner's address in Escondido. Escondido police officers went to the home and took a man believed to be the driver into custody about 1:30 p.m., said sheriff's Lt. Phil Brust. They planned to transfer him to the custody of the sheriff's department, Brust said.
Webb said the woman, whose name has not been released, was well known in the area and frequently went cycling along the highway. He said some of the firefighters summoned to the crash site also knew the woman.
She lived nearby and her husband came to the crash site.
Webb said she was wearing a helmet.
Parts of the vehicle were found at the crash site, including paint chips, a rear view mirror and the lens from the right headlight.The right lane of Highway 101 was shut down for the investigation.
Quote Reply
Re: Solana Beach cyclist hit&run fatality - warning: unpleasant content [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man this makes me feel sick! Poor family!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Solana Beach cyclist hit&run fatality - warning: unpleasant content [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the driver will get fined $200 for this murder.

I'm scared to find out who it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk about unpleasant content....

Her body is probably under the yellow tarp shortly behind the small tree. Down the road you can see her bicycle....

Why do they always get the ones who abide to the rules of the road?

I never see a fatality with someone who runs a Red or dangerously crosses lanes of traffic without looking.

A sad day again....

Last edited by: de-tri-mental: Mar 16, 07 16:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It always makes me wonder what kind of bottom feeder can leave a person they hit lying on the road dying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh man. I'm sick to my stomach.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mother drove by the scene minutes after it happened. She said the bike was so mangled that she didn't know what it was. I've been trying for a couple of hours to find out who the victim was---most of my family lives within 2 miles of that spot.

There have been so many of these hit-and-runs against runners and cyclists/bikers up here in OC lately. It reminds me of the marine who was killed near Miramar a couple of years ago (the SOB who hit him fled, too).

I'm really, truly sorry for her family.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.coastalhealthandfitness.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least they got the guy that ran her down.

Small consolation, but there is that.

Condolences and prayers to her family, whomever she turns out to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is so sad. I was running out of the San Elijo Lagoon just north of the accident when a car pulled over and asked me if I saw the accident. He was on his phone and may have been the guy who was phoning in the license plate - he looked really shaken up.

I have been in a couple of near misses on 101 and now I always ride through the residential streets parallel and West of the 101. The cars drive slower and there is much less traffic. Be careful out there.

Dax

Dax
http://dirtyrunning.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Solana Beach cyclist hit&run fatality - warning: unpleasant content [dax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I try to avoid Hwy 49 by where I live. It is 4 lanes wide, with a wide shoulder, but the cars scream by at 75.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great ill be riding that route tommorrow...eerie. best wishes to the family
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horrible and sad story.

My other amazement is how more cyclists don't get hit while riding on 101. The few times I've ridden on that stretch of coastal road I thought that for sure I was going to get killed by a motorist. It's a white knucle, don't look behind you at the cars coming at 70 MPH, don't steer to the left even by accident, kamakazi bike ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sucks. I ride there a lot. Thanks for posting, but I wish there was nothing to post...
Quote Reply
Re: Solana Beach cyclist hit&run fatality - warning: unpleasant content [BudLightBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Investigators said alcohol is a factor in this case."

At 11:45 a.m.??? I hope that asshole gets everything he deserves.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/...il.html?dl=mainclick

--------------------------------------------
http://www.coastalhealthandfitness.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sad story....Ride safe it's dangerous out there.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Solana Beach cyclist hit&run fatality - warning: unpleasant content [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My kids and I drove by the scene and figured it had to be a hit and run (all the camera crews) and a obvious fatality the yellow tarp covering..her... She was on Mtn bike or beach cruiser , it was a wide bent tire laying in the road. She was not a road bike cyclist or triathlete. She was a local , her and her husband have been around town for a long time -they are not the current typical Solana Beach residents they do not live in a home valued at $million minimum or drive cars that are $50 grand plus. They had no cars and were always on foot or their bikes saw them with a child once? however I do not think they do have a child not in local schools. It is very sad her husband and her pretty much seemed to keep to themselves and were always together...must have enjoyed each others company or really relied on the other day to day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWFUL. Glad they caught the f*cker.
Quote Reply
Re: Solana Beach cyclist hit&run fatality - warning: unpleasant content [BudLightBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the NBC link. It led to a video where they showed the asshole who was taken by police.

They also mention the woman's name who was riding.

The police officer said she was riding in the bike land and doing everything right "For the most part" but then the commentator said she was riding South-bound on the North-bound bike lane.

As someone who rides that stretch of road often and one who has been hit in the bike lane in Carlsbad...I simply don't understand how the direction in which she was going in the bike lane coule be a factor! She was still in the friggin' bike lane!

That poor family of the woman...such a sad state of affairs.
Quote Reply
Re: Solana Beach cyclist hit&run fatality - warning: unpleasant content [YaHey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just awful. I'm just thankful they caught the guy and that the victim apparently knew local firefighters. Maybe that will help in getting a conviction that amounts to more than jaywalking.

YaHey, not to be argumentative, but I'm not sure you're thinking of the right stretch of road, or you ride in some of incredibly protected areas. This stretch of 101 is pretty darn safe and is constantly populated with cyclists. This is one of the last public roads I'd classify as "white knuckle." This is the sort of place I'd feel pretty comfortable with a trailer with one of my nieces in it. It just kills me that this happened there. My wife rides that section of road twice a week in the early mornings, not to mention weekends.
Last edited by: Pooks: Mar 17, 07 5:52
Quote Reply