Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels?
Quote | Reply
I started thinking about this as I made my favorite breakfast- 2 eggo waffles w/ PB and J. Looked at the jelly, and of course the #1 ingredient was HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). HFCS has been touted as the dietary devil of our society, so I did some research to see what was the difference between it and other sugars. The main detractors for HFCS (which is about 55% fructose and 45% glucose) seem to be:

1. Higher reactivity than glucose: it denatures enzymes, which is (I'm guessing) what causes all the correlational health problems (messes w/ hormones and many biological processes).

2. No satiety- you never feel full, and its the sweetest sugar, so you become desensitized to sweeteners faster, and eat more to get the same taste; more calories=more butt.

did I miss a big detractor? Any other reasons to avoid the stuff?

In someone who doesn't eat much HFCS, is the jelly so bad? Or can a lifetime of eating just a bit a day cumulatively add up to a lot? Is the easy answer to switch to HFCS-free jelly or use honey (mix of fructose, glucose, little sucrose, plus all the antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals)?

That made me look @ the ingedients on my box of energy gels- Maltodextrin, then corn syrup (95% glucose, as oposed to HFCS), fructose 3rd ingredient. Since you're consuming these while running/biking, does the ingredient list matter (its all geting burnt)? Fructose is chemically the same as glucose, but the different structure reacts more readily; is exercise producing way more metabolic by-products than the fructose in an energy gel anyhow, making it a minor factor?

As I've improved my eating habits over the last few years, its made a huge difference in how I feel, perform, and recover. I'm looking at type/amount of sugar as the next focus area, not just for me, but for my family's overall health. Has anyone seen any research on this, or maybe has some strong anecdotal evidence?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to Hammer Nutrition, which may be biased, but seems very well researched:

HFCS has been shown to elevate blood serum triglycerides, and may not be the best choice either during an event or anytime, before or after.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/...&ARTICLE.ID=1265

http://www.hammernutrition.com/...&ARTICLE.ID=2262
Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CONCLUSION

Only a modest amount of processed fructose sugar is associated with harmful consequences to human subjects and more precarious interventions imposed in animal research. Healthy normal athletes should NOT therefore impose a known health risk during exercise or during sedentary mealtimes by consuming a processed fructose-sugar sweetener.

In short, its bad stuff in quantities higher than what someone 50 years ago ate; any way to get a listing of what foods were made of before the advent of HFCS?

To simplify, it sound like if you avoid all the HFCS you can, plus any hydrogenated oils, that should get you most of the way there. Any other easily identifiable and easy to eliminate pitfalls in the modern diet?

Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder when, or if, HFCS will be labeled like transfats are now. Seems like trans fats became the devil and everyone either had to list how much they had it their foods or they said they had none.

You should be able to buy a jam or jelly without HFCS pretty easily, and the price isn't that much more.

Now it's those processed eggos you have to replace with whole grain bread. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i cut HFCS out completely...then i realized gatorades' main ingredient is HFCS so i wont be drinking that much anymore. ill just have a clif shot and some water that will look just as cool right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who has 2 degrees in nutrition with a 3rd on the way, I was highly skeptical when I received an assignment to report on HFCS. As it turns out, HFCS might not be nearly as innocent as we once thought.

I would highly recommend reading this article: http://www.ajcn.org/...nt/abstract/79/4/537 written by George Bray, It is extremely informative. But I'll outline a few highlights below... In short, most of the things they say are indeed true.
  • HFCS was introduced into the US food chain in 1968 which ironically is the same time that Americans really began to increase the rates of overweight and obesity. Seriously, if you look at graphs, it is quite amazing to see the parallel trends.
  • The consumption of HFCS increased more than 1000% in the years between 1970 and 1990. HFCS is the leading sweetener in carbonated beverages but can also be found in cereals, flavored yogurts, most baked goods, dairy desserts, fruit drinks, jams and jellies, candy, canned fruits, and countless others.
  • High fructose corn syrup currently represents more than 40% of caloric sweeteners that are added to foods and beverages and is the only sweetener added to soft drinks in the United States.
  • This research review outlines the biological principles related to fructose including: the absorption of fructose, fructose and insulin release, insulin and leptin, as well as, fructose and metabolism.
  • HFCS has a greater proportion of fructose than other sweeteners. Fructose and glucose are digested and absorbed through different processes. Disaccharides such as sucrose enter the small intestine are cleaved by disaccharidases. A sodium-glucose cotransporter absorbs the glucose that results from such cleavage. Fructose, on the other hand, is absorbed further down in the duodenum and jejunum by a non-sodium dependent process. Once these sugars have been absorbed, both glucose and fructose enter the portal circulation and are either transported to the liver (where fructose can be taken and converted to glucose) or pass into general circulation. Even small amounts of fructose ingested in combination with glucose “increases the hepatic glycogen synthesis in human subjects and reduces glycemic responses” (Bray, Nielsen, and Popkin, 2004). However, when large amounts of fructose are ingested, they “provide an unregulated source of carbon precursors for hepatic lipogenesis” (Bray, Nielsen, and Popkin, 2004).
  • Fructose also affects insulin release. Fructose does not stimulate insulin most likely due to the fact that the ß cells of the pancreas do not have the fructose transporter GLUT-5. Therefore, when fructose is eaten as part of a mixed meal, the increase in glucose and insulin is much smaller than when the same amount of glucose is eaten. However, fructose has been shown to produce a much larger increase in lactate than glucose and a small increase in “diet-induced thermogenesis” (Schwarz, Schutz, and Froidevaux, 1989). This suggests that glucose and fructose have different metabolic effects (Bray, Nielsen, and Popkin, 2004).
  • The small decrease in insulin regulation produced when fructose is consumed can have significant effects. Insulin helps to control food intake by two different mechanisms. In one study, Schwartz and fellow researchers report that insulin concentrations in the central nervous system directly inhibits the intake of food (Schwartz, Woods, Porte, Seeley, and Baskin, 1998). Secondly, insulin may help to control food intake by affecting leptin secretion (Muller, Gregoire, and Stanhope, 1998). Insulin increase leptin release with a time delay. Therefore, a low insulin concentration after eating a meal containing fructose would result in lower concentrations of leptin than if that person were to consume only glucose. Since leptin inhibits food intake, having lower levels would lead one to overeat or at the very lead eat more than their usual (Bray, Nielsen, and Popkin, 2004). Health professionals and dietitians alike have seen that people lacking leptin become morbidly obese. A preliminary study conducted found that “to the extent that fructose increases the diet, one might expect less insulin secretion and thus less leptin release and a reduction in the inhibitory effect of leptin on food intake, i.e., an increase in food intake (Teff, Elliot, Tschoep, Kieffer, Radar, Heiman, et al., 2002).
  • The metabolism of fructose itself might provide some insight into its possible cause of weight gain. Fructose and glucose are metabolized in two different ways. Glucose enters the cell by a transporter, GLUT-4, that is insulin dependent. Fructose, on the other hand, enters cells by a GLUT-5 transporter which does not depend on insulin but is absent from both the pancreas and brain (Bray, Nielsen, and Popkin, 2004). Glucose provides a sort of satiety signal to the brain that fructose cannot due to the fact that it cannot be transported into the brain. Fructose also contributes carbon atoms to synthesize long-chain fatty acids. Therefore, fructose helps to “facilitate the biochemical formation of triacylglycerols more efficiently than does glucose” (Bray, Nielsen, and Popkin, 2004).

Resources:
Bray, G.A., Nielsen, S.J., & Popkin, B.M. (2004). Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity. American Journal
of Clinical Nutrition, 537-543.
Schwarz, J.M., Schutz, Y., & Froidevaux, F. (1989). Thermogenesis in men and women induced by fructose vs. glucose added to a meal. American Journal of Clinical
Nutrition, 667-674.
Schwartz, M.W., Woods, S.C., Porte, D.J., Seeley, R.J., & Baskin, D.G. (1998). Central nervous system control of food intake. Nature, 661-671.
Muller, W.M., Gregoire, F.M., & Stanhope, K.L. (1998). Evidence that glucose metabolism regulated leptin secretion from cultured rat adipocytes.
Endocrinology, 551-558.
Teff, K.L., Elliot, S.S., & Tschoep, M.R. (2002). Consuming high fructose meals reduces 24 hour plasma insulin and leptin concentrations, does not suppress circulating ghrelin, and increases postprandial and fasting triglycerides in women. Diabetes, supplement.
Teff, K.L., Elliot, S.S., Tschoep, M.R., Kieffer, T.J., Rader, D., Heiman, M., et al. (2003). Dietary Fructose Reduces Circulating Insulin and Leptin, Attenuates Postprandial Suppression of Ghrelin, and Increases Triglycerides in Women. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2963-2972.

Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [TRIA3SM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i cut HFCS out completely...then i realized gatorades' main ingredient is HFCS so i wont be drinking that much anymore. ill just have a clif shot and some water that will look just as cool right?

What kind of gatorade are you drinking? I just looked at the label of my GA-endurance and the main ingredient is sucrose, and there is no corn syrup of any kind in it.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [gwaveswims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting that the fructose in HFCS gets metabolized differently than glucose in rice.

That's bad enough, but I believe the worse news about HCFS is its insidiuousness in processed foods. It's so user-friendly that the food industry has found a way to use it in EVERYTHING. Therein lies the real danger of HCFS, IMO: you can ingest lots of it without even knowing when you indulge in processed foods.

Best to stay with natural wholesome foods.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liquid and powdered Gatorade have different ingredients. When you buy a bottle of Gatorade from the gas station it has HFCS.
Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [NTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Liquid and powdered Gatorade have different ingredients. When you buy a bottle of Gatorade from the gas station it has HFCS.

Seriously? That's one of the lamest things I've ever heard. Good thing I never drink pre-mixed stuff. I think I've pretty much achieved zero HFCS intake, but it is not easy.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Now it's those processed eggos you have to replace with whole grain bread. ;)
HMMMM... How about the whole-grain eggos? Can we compromise? Seriously, it seems like HFCS is so heavily used that it would be worthwhile to cut out as much as possible. Then the amount you ingest from things like eggos really is minor. Anyone have any foods that you thought were OK but surprised you with how bad they really were? Might be good to know what things to avoid no matter what.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
2. No satiety- you never feel full, and its the sweetest sugar, so you become desensitized to sweeteners faster, and eat more to get the same taste; more calories=more butt.
I've often wondered if the same argument can be made for "diet" products (e.g. diet soda) with Nutrasweet, Splenda, or whatever. Do you get desensitized to the sweet flavor and end up consuming larger portions of real food because you're conditioned to not feel full after eating the fake stuff?

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It takes about two seconds to make your own waffles... a cup of flour, a cup of milk, an egg, 2.5T baking powder - let it sit for a couple minutes until the batter fluffs, then drop it on the griddle. You can freeze them, and then pop them back in a toaster oven later.

Much tastier than eggos.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"#1 ingredient was HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). HFCS has been touted as the dietary devil of our society"

I don't know what the point of the post is, but you've got to switch to 100% maple syrup. Come on, you only live once.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It takes about two seconds to make your own waffles... a cup of flour, a cup of milk, an egg, 2.5T baking powder - let it sit for a couple minutes until the batter fluffs, then drop it on the griddle. You can freeze them, and then pop them back in a toaster oven later.

Much tastier than eggos.
Only one problem: I'm lazy, and I always screw up cooking. Eggos are my guilty pleasure...

Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what you just posted IS the whole point: use natural stuff. Our bodies are designed to process the naturally occurring sugars in maple syrup, plus whatever antioxidants and minerals are in there are good for us. Now its a question of making the permanent change in diet, and how easily it can be done. Anecdotally, healthy/natural food is always more expensive, and not as readily available. It looks like I'll need to teach my daughter some basic chemistry and biology before age 10, and make sure she knows WHY some foods are healthy and others aren't.

Quote Reply
Re: HFCS- not so bad in limited quantities? What about energy gels? [TRIA3SM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the HFCS is only in their ready to drink formula. it's not in the powder mix. not sure why, though.
Quote Reply