Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My one gift in the pool.....
Quote | Reply
.... is following instructions.

I was thinking about this today at my squad. The coach said "100 steady, 10 rest, 2 25s build, 10 rest between, then 50 drill, 15 rest. Do that 4 times, add paddles for 2 and 4.'

Got it, I think. Mid way through rep one it becomes clear that my lane mates, all three of them, are just doing 200 straight, no pauses, no change of pace, no drill, nothing. In fact, they mostly did 800 straight! I did my best to follow the instructions as given. I don't think this is really complicated, but people seem unable to follow verbal clues.

Is it me? Are they idiots, or am I some swim squad savant?

Do I just get faster and change lanes?

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Re: My one gift in the pool..... [kiwipat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get over yourself.

There is a guy in my lane in his forties who cannot follow the set if his life depended on it. We are all university students and used to snicker when he couldn't follow instructions when he told us he was little slow, we believed him. Turns out he's the director of Immunology at my university.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You speak of faster lanes. I presume those in the faster lanes are doing the correct drills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duuuuude,

We are apparently twins separated at birth.

Whenever the coach gives us anything harder than 40x100 on 1:40, the other guys in my squad all send me to the front of the line. If we have to descend a set from say 1:45/100 down to 1:25 per 100 I get the nudge again.

I don't know what it is, but I can hit a target time (as long as it's within my speed range) without any difficulty. I can also keep track of laps (doing 800's say) and I can shift speeds to suit the coaches requirements. Some people have it and some don't. We jsut ahve to get used to everyones weaknesses and stregths, just as we have to get used to our own.

I just have ONE problem in the pool. I just can't seem to swim faster than 1:30 per 100 for 3800m! Damn

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my only gift in the pool is my spectacular ability to impersonate a slung brick.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: My one gift in the pool..... [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you and me both.

Slowtwitch Planet-X mafia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I don't care to lead the lane when the sets are complicated.

Being a non-corporeal being, I have no idea what the difference is between a 1:45 and a 1:40 or whatever.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and I should go to a slower lane I guess, as I often lag behind and just make the set or fall back and wind up not taking the rest because I was still finishing the lap during the rest. I think the coaches believe I can swim faster then I do, but haven't been able to really get it right yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiwipat,
I think you are the smart one, and I am actually like one of the guys swimming in the lane next to you just logging miles.
That is why my fastest mile in a lake is 25 minutes. :-(

H
Quote Reply
Re: My one gift in the pool..... [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! If I swam 10,000 yards at a time........well number one I would die, but number two it would take me about 10 hours! God, my swimming sucks. I guess I can give myself a break though since I've only been swimming for a month...

Poor me.
Chad
Quote Reply
Re: My one gift in the pool..... [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I can also keep track of laps (doing 800's say)"
- - Damn!! I need to swim with you. At meets, I need a lap counter for the 200 free. I tend to think that it's because I swam IM in HS and college, so I never had to remember past 100 yards/meters. At masters, they never let me lead the lane because when we're doing 400s, I'll do 350s and 450s. My mind just wanders, and suddenly I'm thinking "hey, what lap is this?"

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: My one gift in the pool..... [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm usually pretty good about tracking my own laps, but the one I always had problems with was doing short course 800 free relays. I was always having to ask teammates and the timer if the swimmer in front of me was finishing up, or was only at 150 and had another 50 to go.
Quote Reply
Re: My one gift in the pool..... [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I was always having to ask teammates and the timer if the swimmer in front of me was finishing up, or was only at 150 and had another 50 to go."
- - LOL. It is considered poor form to dive on top of the swimmer in front of you because you lost count.

At a meet a few years back I led off a 200 FR so I was out of the water and watching our anchor guy on his dive. The third guy should have glided into the wall but took one more stroke, which really made him late to the wall. Meanwhile, our anchor guy had leaned into the start and was watching for the touch. He actually rolled off the block and was almost parallel to the water when he pushed off because he had started his roll too early. He ended up with a crappy dive and actually brushed the other guy's feet going into the water.

God I love relays. That's where I had my one and only USMS #1 swim.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In our masters, there are different folks who do different things. I remember swimming once in a lane with a guy who just wanted to do his own thing.
Talked to the coach, and just went to a different lane. So, find the best thing to do is just try to find folks who all have the same approach you have,
and then work as a team. Some times I get with folks who make me go first. Other times I go last. There are some you can work with by talking to.
There are a few who just want to do it their way, period. I just will never get in a lane with them. (Maybe that is there plan? :o) )

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: My one gift in the pool..... [McGillTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thing is, people pay a lot of money for the instruction they get at squad - twice as much as just visiting the pool and following your own, random, plan.
So, if you pay the money then why not follow the instructions?

Or perhaps they aren't there to get better at swimming. But my squad runs 6/7 am mon/wed/fri, so there is a certain sacrifice in getting there at that time of day.

You're right, though, I really do need to get over myself... ;)

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiwipat, where do you swim. Sounds like Haydn's squad at the Teps

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pm you with the details... don't want to flame anyone. Actually, the squad is cool and friendly, and I like going.

Just some of that lane madness drives me up the wall! Some people at my squad swim every lap of every set at threshold.... I find that astonishing. They sure get fit. Don't seem to get a heap faster, though, but they sure are working hard!

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmmm, Sunday, Noon-thirty and you're on ST. You sad FK! :-) You should be out doing "Dutch Hills" in this wind.

Me, I'm just a sad mofo. I'm working, tying to clear my inbox so I can actually get some real work done during the week. ST makes that hard tho'

Later duuuuuuuuude

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No!!!! Did a race this morning, not the Panasonic but with the Hibiscus Coast crew at Whangaparoa. So I am just winding down before I go for a nap.

You can't work on Sunday mate, it is the lord's day.... ;)

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply