Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are higher cadence less efficient late in a long ride? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"perhaps the pros, who are racing a tactical race and trying to get into position on the Hawi express need to use those high RPM cadences to generate the early race power requirements that put them in position"

i want to clarify my position. i'm not arguing for a lower cadence on the back end of a 5hr ride coupled with a decreasing drop in power, even as a result of tactical choices made by pro athletes. i'm guessing, or postulating, that one might self-select, for good reason, a lower cadence while more or less maintaining his power throughout the ride. i did ask about this of darren smith, whom i referred to earlier in this thread. he quickly jotted off the following to me in reply (some is hard to follow because he really quickly answered this:

"The long and the short of it: we know that self selected cadence changes over time (duration of the ride) and also at diff wattages (ie as % of max sustainable) for everyone as different stages of preparation, skill and strength. Economy or efficiency is a whole new ball game, you can measure Vo2 and the low point for that (called energetically optimal) is lower than self selected cadence, more so when athletes are fresh, with the two points becoming closer the longer the duration. If you happen to measure neuromuscular components of muscle at the same time by EMG you find that the 'the neural most optimal' cadences are significantly higher. A Japanese group also saw that venous blood return was also enhanced with a higher pedal rate, and for me that started to form a picture for me why everyone talked about higher cadences for cycling, while scientifically the VO2 data had always indicated otherwise. Christophe Hausswirth et al in the late 90s have done the best work on that topic using all of the above techniques (search http://www.pubmed.com) and I was also part of that research group on a few of those studies. They were the first studies to look at what happens to self selected cadence after more than one hour of cycling at a decent wattage. The same group has just published something along similar lines but with more emphasis on correlating strength characteristics with energetically optimal and self selected cadences, albeit the durations are not consistent with this discussion in LC racing (International journal of sports med, 2007).

The best papers on Neural fatigue during cycling however come from Dr Romauld Lepers of Dijon, France who incidentally competed in the male elite field at Hawaii last year, so he clearly knows his stuff from a practical and scientific point of view (eg. Neuromuscular Fatigue during a long-duration cycling exercise; Lepers et al. Jnl Applied Physiol, 92: 1487-1493, 2002). As mentioned above, central neural fatigue seems to kick in after a number of hours and this restricts the cadence possible.... However, from a practical point of view it will only negatively affect the resultant power output you can push (not withstanding the other issues of heat, fuel, efficiency of pedalling etc) if you theoretically do not have the specific (strength endurance) conditioning to absorb the greater torque resulting from a lower cadence."

so that's what darren said, and i think it speaks to my query, which is by no means yet a theory let alone anything approaching a truism. it's my own observation that deserves my own consideration -- that is, it's something i'm exploring.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Are higher cadence less efficient late in a long ride? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coyle touches on the subject of cadence and muscle fibers in his 7 year study of Armstrong. Here's a blurb with the link below.

"..Muscle samples were not surgically obtained from this athlete to directly test the hypothesis that muscle fiber-type conversion contributed to the large increases in mechanical or muscular efficiency when cycling. Therefore, this hypothesis that the percentage of type I muscle fibers increased in this individual requires identification of other performance characteristics that clearly changed in this individual over that 7-yr period with discussion as to whether they are consistent with the hypothesis of increased percentage of type I muscle fibers. Although during all laboratory measures of mechanical efficiency, cycling cadence was held constant at 85 rpm, this individual's freely chosen cycling cadence during time trial racing of 30- to 60-min duration increased progressively during this 7-yr period from 85–95 rpm to 105–110 rpm. This increase in freely chosen revolutions per minute when cycling at high intensity is indeed consistent with increases in type I muscle fibers because cyclists with a higher percentage of type I fibers choose a higher pedaling cadence when exercising at high power outputs (22). Although this may initially seem paradoxical, higher cycling cadence serves to both bring muscle fiber contraction velocity closer to that of maximum power and reduce the muscle and pedaling force required for each cycling stroke. Keep in mind that when exercising at a given rate of oxidative metabolism, an 8% increase in mechanical efficiency will result in 8% more muscle power and force development on the pedals when cycling cadence is held constant. As cycling efficiency increases due to increased percentage of type I muscle fibers, it is possible that increased power is manifested by increasing cycling cadence (i.e., velocity) rather than increasing the muscle forces directed to the pedals. This approach appears to produce less sensation of effort relative to muscular strength (27). Therefore, it is likely that the increases in freely chosen cycling cadence displayed over the years by this Tour de France champion reflect his increased mechanical efficiency, agreeing with the pattern expected to result from muscle fiber conversion from type II to type I..."

http://jap.physiology.org/...ntent/full/98/6/2191
Quote Reply
Re: Are higher cadence less efficient late in a long ride? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"i'm guessing, or postulating, that one might self-select, for good reason, a lower cadence while more or less maintaining his power throughout the ride."

That would be my initial guess too but then just about every time I see a power profile from Pro (usually a male Pro, not a female Pro), I see a declining power profile. Which begs the question...

Btw, I enjoyed Darren's reply. However, I'm struggling with the following statement (or really his last paragraph):

"
However, from a practical point of view it will only negatively affect the resultant power output you can push (not withstanding the other issues of heat, fuel, efficiency of pedalling etc) if you theoretically do not have the specific strength endurance to absorb the greater torque from a lower cadence."

So, what I believe he's saying is that those who self-select a lower cadence later in the race and still experience a drop in power might have done so because they chose a cadence in which they did not have the specific strength endurance to pull it off. As opposed to, I (and others?) were speculating that those individuals were actually experiencing a loss in power due to aerobic fatigue which was likely due to being overly aggressive earlier in the race. Or did I totally miss something?
Either way, fatigue is fatigue. Does it matter whether it's neuromuscular or aerobic?

Thanks, Chris

Thanks, Chris

Quote Reply
Re: Are higher cadence less efficient late in a long ride? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"just about every time I see a power profile from Pro (usually a male Pro, not a female Pro), I see a declining power profile."

we need to see these mythical profiles. perhaps i'll see if i can get beppo hilfiker to show me cadence versus power over the IM for the profiles he's got archived.

"
what I believe he's saying [snip]"

we can consider he's actually saying, which he writes in his last two sentences: "central neural fatigue seems to kick in after a number of hours and this restricts the cadence possible... it will only negatively affect the
resultant power output... if you theoretically do not have the specific (strength endurance) conditioning to absorb the greater torque resulting from a lower cadence."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The declining power profiles happen for tactical reasons, not for any other reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, long day, I'm tired, etc...

Ok, his statements seem to imply that a lower cadence is inevitable on the IM bike? If so then I totally disagree and have plenty of data to back that up. Again, I must be too tired and am missing something...

Btw, doesn't 2peak have power profiles from a half a dozen Pros who did Kona the last 2 years? Go to his site. The profiles are all declining, not sure about the cadence profiles though. The most well-balanced power profile was Fernanda Keller, if I remember correctly.

Thanks, Chris
Last edited by: lakerfan: Mar 20, 07 22:46
Quote Reply
Re: Are higher cadence less efficient late in a long ride? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok, his statements seem to imply that a lower cadence is inevitable on the IM bike? If so then I totally disagree and have plenty of data to back that up.
What's the average and standard deviation of cadence on that set of data you mention?
Quote Reply
Re: Are higher cadence less efficient late in a long ride? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point taken. Yeah, I haven't analyzed it that closely...

However, a couple of questions:

1. Is that what people believe (cadences will definitely decline toward the latter part of the IM bike)?

2. What's considered a decline?

A quick example: All of my IM bikes range from +2rpms to -2rpms between 1st and 2nd half.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

I looked at least a dozen or so different IM bike power and cadence files from various athletes (times ranging from 4:50 - 5:45). I viewed their cadence profiles in relation to their power profiles (10% smoothing) and simply compared ave cadence between 1st and 2nd half. Cadence profiles were all flat, no surprise, but power profiles varied from flat to slightly declining. The most considerable cadence decline I saw was -5rpms between 1st and 2nd half but the individual had a flat power profile and a fast time (5:04 at IMH). Everyone else ranged from -2rpms to +2rpms between 1st and 2nd half. I also did a lot of spot checking comparing 1st hr to last hr since you mentioned your were only observing and comparing cadences at the beginning vs the end the race.

I also took a look at the profiles on 2peak.com. They only had a couple of files displayed with 10% smoothing (most were 1%) but you could clearly see that cadence profiles were all flat but I think that's a bit deceptive based on the scale of the graph. You really need to see the data in a file or CP to get a better sense of the truth. Interesting note is that the only guy who appears to have hit cadences of ~100rpms was the AGer, Mike Montgomery. None of the Pros did.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I also took a look at the profiles on 2peak.com."

beppo (2peak) has three years of data at kona. he's working on getting it for us. i recommended finding perhaps 4 snapshots that were representative of relatively flat spots on the course, several miles long. i think if you look at 3 years worth, that ought to take care of any issues of tail versus headwind, which might impact cadence. hopefully we can have this data relatively soon.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next