Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help: Crank Length? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Read this first and then decide for yourself if you want to try a longer crank length.

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/crankset.html "

So, did any of ya'all actually read the info on the site, or are you just taking this nonsense on face value?

This is the best part:

"The standard crank length of 170mm is optimum for a cyclist with a 31-inch inseam."

Gee, how did you arrive at this conclusion?

"...much qualitative observation and some informal testing."

I'm sold! Where do I get my 155.4mm cranks?!?!

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Crank Length? [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I (...) can feel that my legs want longer cranks.
I couldn't decide whether your posts or h2o's were funnier, but you got the prize with that quote.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Crank Length? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.nettally.com/palmk/BikeFit.html

Now this is priceless!

"There are forks available that use straight blades and achieve the necessary rake by via an angle at the crown, but this results in the stresses caused by road shocks to be concentrated at the crown. The crown will have to be beefed up to avoid premature fracture. Hence, you'll end up with a fork that is both heavier and stiffer than the curved variety. And the increased stiffness can be expected to have adverse effects on the front tire, the front wheel durability, the headset bearings, the frame, and the stem, so all of them will need to be beefed up as well to avoid damage. And for all this, the rider gets more pain in his hands, wrist, and butt, with essentially no benefit. The manufacturer, however, gets to separate the ignorant from his money."

More pearls of wisdom by the author of the (apparently) definitive treatise on proper crank length!

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Crank Length? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would I choose 175 over 170?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why indeed. It's simply a non-issue, which of course, makes it a great topic of discussion here on ST ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well since we're here maybe we should kick this horse a bit more. A non-issue? Of all the dynamics of bike fit, are you saying that crank arm length is a complete constant regardless of leg length or personal preference?

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Mar 16, 07 21:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Being a matter of personal preference makes it a non-issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so you are saying that there is no real power difference? I think I'm with ya. ;)

Edit: wait a second, there should be more torque and bigger gear pushed but slower cadence with longer crank arms right? I thought I was with you, maybe not? WTF?

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Mar 16, 07 22:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JT, just a few thoughts. Do you think shorter folks want to see longer folks use something that will make them faster compared to them?
Would you ask a fat person how to get skinny? Would you ask a poor person how to be rich? How many years did most folks think the earth was flat?
I have always believed there are 10 ways to skin a cat. I am just always amazed how many folks are willing to fight about something they can NEVER have
first hand data to see what might happen. Short folks can never understand what longer cranks might do for them, since they are ALREADY using cranks
that are correct for them. It would be like me trying to use 230's.

So, if there was only one way to do our sport, why do we have so many choices? If longer cranks did not work, why do so many taller folks use them?
For what ever reason, they may or may not work for you. But, why on earth would you listen to short people about something that only impacts us
tall folks? Whats the worst that happens? You try something, it does not work for you, and you sell the item. But, what if it did work for you?
Is it worth a few hundred dollars to see if your genetics can be used to your benefit and be faster? We all sure seem to do this on wheel, carbon, etc.
Why would a tall person not try them? And if us taller folks did not need unique stuff, why do we get told we need a larger frame.

It seems so easy to me that logic makes more sense than using emotion. If height made no difference, then why are we all not riding 150's?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Crank Length? [Reddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of used; however, highly functional carbon fiber 180 cranks, and a still new (<300mi.) Dura-Ace 56t chainring if any of you tall guys are interested in a big circle in a big gear.
Apologies for not putting this in "Classifieds". Just seemed like a better discussion here for interested riders. I'm 6'1" 34 inseam. Gave these a try, went back to 175/55t. PM if interested.

www.bicitreregioni.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No. Being a matter of personal preference makes it a non-issue.

I saw a great deal on a carbon crankset at my LBS, however they were 172.5's. At the time, both my road bike and tri bike had 175's (I'm 6' 2" with a 34" inseam). I agonized over buying the carbons, thinking they would be way too short. I then thought to check my old road bike that I had ridden for 7 or 8 yrs and converted to a winter beater. It had 165's! I snapped up the 172.5 carbons and since then haven't really given crank length a second thought...

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Crank Length? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read over it on a number of occasions. If I recall, he actually observed that the pro cyclists over the years used 170s for a long time, which was perfectly fine for the short dudes they were. What easily available crankarm lengths have every been available since the ‘70s? As Paolo says, it is a matter of personal preference, however taller or shorter cyclists didn’t have the option of preferring a shorter or longer crank arm because they were not available. Within a certain range, I suspect it doesn’t matter, say 5mm. However, once you start to go 10mm or beyond what may be optimal, I would guess it does matter. For someone like H2ofun who was 25mm! away from his optimal crank arm length then it will certainly provide an increase in performance. My own experiments between 175mm and 190mm have shown that was the case. Again, I suspect that the farther you are away from your optimal length the greater performance increase you will see when you stop pedaling your legs with tricycle cranks.
Longer crank arms require an initial adaptation period, which is why every study that I have ever seen failed to address far too many issues to be of any value.
Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Crank Length? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad, I have yet to see one person who says they tried a small 5mm longer, try for enough time AND gather data on a before and after as I have on the same 30 miles of hilly course.
Assuming I can get the Qrings installed on my cranks, I will next be able to do a test on the Qrings to see if by my data they make any difference. I will then report my findings.

Yep, why tall folks seem so scared to try something that may provide them with the LARGEST time savings in a race is beyond me. But, until someone else can provide better data than I have, I am staying on my 200's. I still will be able to tell some with the races that I do this season, but a few data points will not be as solid as the ones I get with training on the same course over years.

So, when are you coming up to Auburn? Need a place to stay? I may be going to bakersfield to race on May 19th which if I do, everyone is going to be pissed at me since I had better not miss my daughters graduation on the 20th.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next