Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap CPU / cadence sensor cable
Quote | Reply
For those of you that have a Powertap, I would like to know what your experience is with the unit. I have a the SL version and it has been very reliable to me. I love it. But I think the CPU mount sucks. Very poor design for a $1000+ unit. I just had to order a new bike CPU mount as my old one broke. One of those golden pins broke and wouldn't come up anymore for a connection.

Lately I haven't even used my cadence sensor cable anymore. Those are so fragile and brake so easily. I already had 2 replaced but am tired of replacing them. I think it's poor design. Why would anybody place the cadence sensor cable at the top of the unit where one has to slip the CPU on/off?

What's your experience with the Powertap system? Anybody else experience the same? Am I expecting too much quality out of a $1000+ piece of cycling equipment?

The people at Saris told me that they never heard of the cadence sensor cable problem. Maybe they forgot that I already called in twice before...

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap CPU / cadence sensor cable [Mito Chondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can remember before I had my PT 2.4 that the wires on my cateye computers used to break all the time. That was until I went wireless on the cateye computer as well. I don't think wires wearing is any new feature solely found on the PT SL. Just my two sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And why_ are you using cadence???? ;)

You need another cadence cable? I've got an xtra.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PT has worked well - I never hooked up the cadence sensor and still get the readings.

The only problem I've had is the spindle that the cassette slides onto is made of soft metal and had to be replaced after a year. The cassette essentially scored the housing so the cassette would not stay on properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would call it an average design. I have been through a few cable kits also. They certainly know there is an issue with the cadence - and the advice I was given was to unplug and re-plug the cable into the head unit. I have never had very reliable cadence readings (from either the cadence sensor or using the hub).
I think they can do a much better job, and hopefully they will! In all areas, not just the cables! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have the Pro and i guess i've been lucky with mine. just over 8k on it and zero cable issues except for when the zip tie holding the sensor on broke and even then, the cable was fine. i've only have had to replace the cpu battery once and have yet to have to replace the one in the hub even though most folks seem to need to regularly.

i hope i've not jinxed myself now.

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The perceieved cadence that the powertap calulates without the cable is close enough. I would ditch the extra cable all together and let the computer calulate cadence based on the application of power to the rear wheel. I think there is a setting that you need to change in the computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 PTs using 2 bikes for over 3 years and I went through 3 different CPU mounts in the first year but haven't had a single problem since then. I think you kind of figure out what to do and what not to do over time and that reduces the chance of breaking the mounting kit. Yes, removing the CPU is somewhat awkward but, again, you get used to it over time. You know, I use cadence but don't even bother to hook up the cable anymore because the virtual (hub only) cadence is just as good as the crank-sensed cadence.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply