Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM w/ clip-ons on drop bars- much of a disadvantage?
Quote | Reply
Got an internal debate going on: My Kestrel Talon just arrived today, took it out for 30 miles, and it feels great! (had to add that in- top tube on the the old bike was a hair short) I need to set it up to race this year- Rockman, IMOO, maybe an OLY or 2 as tune-ups. From what I've heard of the Madison course, you never spend long amounts of time in the aerobars- might I be better off just keeping the drop bar and going w/ clip-ons? Not sure if drop bars add much drag, but is that truly a factor for a guy doing his 1st IM in an estimated 6 hrs +/- 15 minutes?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: IM w/ clip-ons on drop bars- much of a disadvantage? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IMOO last year. You will be fine with a standard tri set up. My opinion, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: IM w/ clip-ons on drop bars- much of a disadvantage? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bars are useful at MOO, there are lots of sections when it will definitely be an advantage

Quote | Reply
If you are in the same position on clip-ons/drop bars vs. a TT front end = almost no difference.

The differences come in:

1) Usually TT front end is on a steeper/lower front end bike = different position so maybe faster/more aero.
2) Shifting. If you are in the aero bars and need to shift - its a pain to reach for STI shifters. If you are climbing a lot - its a pain to reach the end of the TT bars to shift....

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: IM w/ clip-ons on drop bars- much of a disadvantage? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
honestly it is a piece of cake to shift using sti even if you are in the aerobars virtually all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking at a 6hr ride, i would say go with what is most comfortable. Tri bikes are great if you are in the aero position all of the time, otherwise you are better off on a road bike. I'd say that the vast majority of European riders including pros use road bikes as many the courses here are often more technical than most of the US ones.....?

Good luck by the way!!!
Last edited by: UKathlete: Mar 14, 07 4:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride my Ketsrel Talon with clip ons and STI shifting for all races and I am much happier than I was on my tri-bike. Its really easy to shift with STI even when riding in the aerobars, but it is far, far easier to shift while climbing with STI. I'm also not convinced that the tri-bike is actually faster than a road bike. As someone else said, at IM Austria, it seemed like most of the Europeans were on road bikes with clip ons, and many were really, really fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be just fine in Madison on whichever bike is more comfortable. As someone else said, shifting with sti while staying fairly aero is not a hard thing to do....good luck in September!
Quote Reply
Re: IM w/ clip-ons on drop bars- much of a disadvantage? [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll end up in the same position, you're right. Not sure if I'll reach for the hoods or not to climb yet- a few of us will head up to Madison in 2-3 weeks to ride the course, and that will really tell me. Hope everyone up north is enjoying the good weather- its supposed to get crappy again this weekend!

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply