Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bontrager Aero Bars-stack height
Quote | Reply
To hijack a timely comment by Chicanery on another thread...

"I really wish that Bontrager would make a different clamp for the aerobars/pads with a lower stack height though...their bar would be my favorite with that one little modification."

Has anyone tried fabricating their own clamp to lower the stack height? I keep waiting for Bontrager to devise a new clamp but considering building my own.

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aero Bars-stack height [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Re: Bontrager Aero Bars-stack height [Overdistance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have also thought about machining a new riser because the current risers are over two inches over the base bar. I have noticed that lots of the Discovery riders have a shorter riser so I e-mailed Bontrager to see if they were going to offer them to the public. They are not offering them to the public and they are not looking at coming out with a new model soon. So I thought about making my own riser.

I have access to a couple of milling machines but after giving it some thought I really think to make it look nice you will have to use a CNC. Which I can design, write the program for, and run. The only problem is that I don’t have one at my shop. I do have access to a CNC at another shop but not sure if it will be worth it.

The extensions are at the top of the base bars so the most drop that could be saved is about 3/4 of an inch. Aero bars that have the pads mounted directly on the base bar would save you almost twice that. I figured the best bet would probable be just to switch to the Ritchey Hammers or the Hed aerobars and sell my Bontragers on e-bay. Let me know if you figure something out.

I agree other then the riser height, they are great bars!

http://www.excellentengineering.net
Quote Reply