Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sharing information
Quote | Reply
I just came back from my Sunday morning swim at Asphalt Green (50 meter pool) in New York. While at the pool I talk to people about how swimming works from my point of view.
A fellow approached me as I was getting ready to go for the plunge and thanked me. It seems that last week I suggested that he coordinate his left hand and right hip and vice versa. He mentioned that during his warm up 1000 swim, his time dropped 45 sec. just because he was focusing on driving his hand toward his opposite hip.
I did my entire swim with a smile on my face knowing that someone benefited by sharing information.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing information [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is really cool. I love being able to give people advice that has a profound effect on the way they train or live their lives. When you can actually see the difference, it is all the better.

Bernie

Re: Sharing information [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just be aware of pitfalls in the advice giving game. Never start a statement with, "you should." And people in a relationship have a difficult time hearing "advice." This is why I am reluctant to give advice. I would rather share information. It is slightly different wording and it might be received differently.
DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Point taken and understood. Generally, I wait until I'm asked.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
Doug,

Obviously advice from someone with your background, experience and credentials, is advice that should be listened to and used, particularly as it pertains swimming. However, I don't know what it is about the sport of triathlon, but there seems to be an aweful lot of advice givers out there or "experts" as I call them, who without even being prompted are offering you some form of advice on all manner of things related to training, physiology, nutrition, equipment, etc . . Years ago I used to take these guys to task and really engage with them in debate. You see it here on ST regularly. Now I just let them go - even asking a few leading questions to keep them going. They can paint themselves into some interesting corners!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing information [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sometimes walk around with duct tape over my mouth. It prevents me from opening my mouth too often.
DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing information [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are so right. Slowtwitch if full of advice givers. But, that is really the essence of any forum. And, posts are put up all the time asking for opionions so ... The problem here is that there is so much excellent advice/things to learn, you have to learn how to sift through all the drivel! It doesn't really take very long to learn who to read and who not to though :)

Doug - you are a prime example. Since I'm a typical tri swimmer (read bad), I always read your posts very carefully and only when I have time and can devote full attention instead of just skimming around like I often do.

Re: Sharing information [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have questions I will answer them as best I can. it forces me to think.
DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would you please elaborate on what you mean by "driving [one's] hand toward his opposite hip?"

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing information [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually you will be driving your hip toward your hand. Feel as if your hand is stationary and your hip moves in the direction of your hand. Your body will immediately rotate and move past your hand as if it is holding onto the water.
DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah - I can't visualize it. I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I swim and try to feel it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know you used AG - if you're ever there on a weekday morning, see a guy in blue nike shorts and feel compelled to comment if only because his ungainly thrashings are like nails on a blackboard feel free - I would welcome the advice!

Seriously do you do any coaching up at that pool?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply