Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

9 to 10 Speed Conversion (DA)
Quote | Reply
i have a 9spd set up right now with bar end shifters and 9 speed cassette all dura ace. not that this matter but the front crank is FSA. anyways- i want to convert the system to 10 speed and was wondering what i need to do besides get the 10spd cassette and new chain. is it necessary to replace the bar end shifters- or can i run the setup of friciton instead of SIS so i can fine tune the 10speeds. thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Re: 9 to 10 Speed Conversion (DA) [TRIA3SM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need new shifters, rear derailleur, and cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: 9 to 10 Speed Conversion (DA) [Laver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no WAY around that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The search function is your friend...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...010%20speed;#1188055

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a new cassette and chain. Run the shifters in friction. Been doing it off and on for 18 months. Works fine. I did it with 8-speed shifters.
Chad
Quote Reply
Re: 9 to 10 Speed Conversion (DA) [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats what i thought thanks for the help...should i readjust the rear derailuer from scratch or just plug on the cassette and chain and micro adjust with? the barral adjusters from there
Quote Reply
Re: 9 to 10 Speed Conversion (DA) [Laver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

nope, don't need a new rear derr...the range is the same from the inner to outer limits. The indexing is done through the shifter. a 9spd front derr will work with 10 spd, but a 10 spd front derr has some trouble with 9 spd, although it can be made to work, just not that well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I upgraded from 9-10 DA in both set-ups, sti & bar ends.
All you need is to upgrade your chain, cogs for the bar ends & add the sti for the drop bar set-up.
The DA9 rear & front derailleur work well in both situations.
In the bar ends, I only use friction which is okay since I switch wheelsets every now & then which needs micro adjusting often.
With the sti, I might miss a shift every rare now & then but otherwise, works fine.I am also happier with the dura 10 chain than an after market "lightweight" brand that broke of much much much sooner than advertised.
Quote Reply