Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First HIM Taper Help
Quote | Reply
I am trying to plan my taper before my first half ironman, California. I am 21/m and have been averaging 150 miles per week/ cycle, 15 miles running and 10k swimming. Running is my limiter and cycyling is my strength. I can swim a 32 min pool 1.2 mile and I'm aiming for a 2:40 bike split and under 1:50-1:55 run. I was planning on tapering one week before the race (march 31st) and slowing down a few days before that week begins. What kind of workouts should I incorporate in my last 7-10 days before the race? thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Re: First HIM Taper Help [TRIA3SM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're doing well on the training. The rule of thumb, in general, is to reduce mileage in half for the last week if you're doing a one-week taper. I'm doing about a 10-day taper for that race, so my last "long" run will be ten days out, and my last long ride (60 miles) will be a week out, though two weeks out will be my LONGEST ride (70 miles). Your personal recovery time will determine how you taper, but yeah, really ease up in that last week.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIA3SM,

I posted a thread asking the same basic question, but didn't any meaningful responses. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=1223769#1223769

FWIW, my plan is similar to TriBodyBoarders....my last big ride (80) is tomorrow, next week I'll do about 70-80% volume with a 50-60 mile ride/5 mile run brick next Saturday and a 10-12 mile run on Sunday.

The following week will be 60-70% volume.

This is what I have penciled in for my final week (mon-fri)

monday 4K swim, 5 mile run
tues 25 mile bike
wed 3K swim, 4 mile run
thurs 15 mile bike (45 min spin on the trainer)
friday - 1K swim/20 min run
saturday is of course, race day.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was in the same boat two months ago prior to my first half. 27y/o male, same strengths & limiters, slightly different training volume (IMHO you should run more if this is your limiter and you want to go 1:50...run LOTS more!). the above suggestions are good guidelines, my own plan was similar however i went a little further & took the two days prior to raceday off completely. just ate, relaxed & hung out (also had to work one day). some will disagree with this but i figured i wanted to go into the event as fresh as possible after my last tempo workouts of taper week. didn't want to risk last-minute injuries, or even carry any small niggles & pains to occupy my mind pre-race. wanted to enter the water as fresh and focussed as possible. worked for me...

good luck my friend

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply