Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultraman triathlon
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,
How would you ever go about training for one of these?
How do you get into one also?
How would you train your body to recover,so you could perform the next day.
I am interested in about three to four years.
Thanks Kas
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman triathlon [kasdas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of training for Ultraman Canada which takes place this September. This will be my first (I've done 6 Ironmans though). I started last October November December by making sure I could swim the distance. Right now I'm trying to stack my long runs on the weekend. I email a guy who did Ultraman in 2005 for advice and if you're interested you can email me at darwinholt@shaw.ca anytime.

Visit the Ultraman Canada website http://www.ultramancanada.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
never done UM, the timing just has never worked out - but do races that last from 2 days to 2 weeks. Tried my first stage race last season and was thrown with severe vertigo, I might try again this year if the vertigo ever subsides. I don't have a ton of training info on my website but will in the near future. However, the concept is really easy..just get out there and train :-)

3-4 yrs out I would suggest getting your base up to handle the harder long distance. My favorite thing to do is ultra runs (staple training run is a double marathon each month the last 4 months before a race), and getting my swim time up in a pool for however long I think I will be swimming. Part of the solo mundane training is what will help you with the solitude of racing in an event where you don't have many participants. The real race is just against yourself. As for the bike, love randoneurs and double centuries.

No clue what your background is, but if you have a foundation of ultras transition into UM will be easy, if you haven't then it will be a very sharp fun learning curve.

For getting into UM, I would contact the RDs and ask them their policies (timing of entrance). Canada looks intriguing and in an amazing venue, Hawaii is the original (also amazing venue). There is a financial part to think about..getting a crew/travel/destination ect.

You ask about the recovery processs to prepare for the next day, this you will learn in training, and hopefully you will put together a strong enough crew to look after you. The biggest piece of advice I can give, be open to trying things, and not just in training.

My dear guy friend Christopher Bergeland has his book coming out in June about the mind body connection, and he was my very first mentor with ultras. I cannot wait to read his book, without seeing it in print yet, would say pick this up. He physically won the triple iron 3 yrs in a row and holds the time record for Virginia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a thread on this about a month ago with a lot of information.

Also, all the rules and how to apply for the race are on the race website.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply