Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Touring in Italy
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I would like to start some bike tours and what better place to start then in Italy this Apr. Does anyone know of any good outfits that run such trips, that are also based in Italy?
Your information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Touring in Italy [planer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you located? There is an outfit based in Toronto that offers 8/9 day tours in Tuscany. I have one of their brochures.

Probably easy to find these companies. Just hit "Italy""cycle tours" on google.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a fantastic bike tour in Umbria a few years ago. The outfit is American, but they know the area like the back of their hand. As well, they do Spain, France, Norway, the list goes on... Highly recommended.

http://www.bluemarble.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't tried any, cause I prefer to go on my own, but I remembered that Hampsten is touring Tuscany, which might come handy for English speaking lads.

Et voila:

http://www.cinghiale.com/tours.htm

Cheers

uli

Quote | Reply
I'll disagree on the "what better place to start than Italy" part. I've ridden in Italy, France, and Japan. My favorite country for riding, by far, is Japan. Great scenery in the country, tons of convenience stores to resupply food and drink (big limitation in Europe in my opinion), respectful drivers, great roads, nasty climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at this one. I understand that it is a really good outfit ran by an American lady and her Euro husband.

www.siroccoroad.com

Gary Clendenin (aka, "The Kid" or "G-man")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddies and I have been talking about doing this too. There is a guy on here that does a tour in Italy. PM "Bike3" for more details, he is the one who runs it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a self-contained tour from Rome-Florence-Venice-Milan-Turin a few years ago and the best way to go is on your own. You will love it.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done several tours in Italy with CycleItalia in recent years and, before that, with Breaking Away. Both cater to serious cyclists with routes in excess of 100 km/day and lots of hills. Both are run by Americans (which is sometimes a little overwhelming for us Canadians). CycleItalia is more into the food and wine and unless BA has changed would give you better hotels and meals. I'd go with them again except that I've done all or almost all their trips. They do only half a dozen trips each year and have a maximum group size of 12. Breaking Away has much larger groups (30 or so) so is a different type of experience. I enjoyed it at the time as well. One of the other people on one of the CycleItalia trips had gone with and recommended Ciclismo Classico, which has a broader offering of destinations and some trips where the cycling is less serious. Hampsten goes under the name of cinghiale and has some things that look interesting as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have cycled in many European countries and Italy remains our favorite.
Ciclismo Classico did a great job when we went from Venezia to Napoli back in 1995. Route length options were available almost everyday. We even received evening Italian lessons. They made a great effort to ensure that we got a cultural as well as a "cyclical" experience in each region. Highly recommend.
In May we are riding Toscana and Umbria with VBT for 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi!

Me and a buddy booked our first bike vacation 3 weeks ago and are VERY EXCITED, can't wait to go there, planning already started.
Will be in Italy 17th of april to the 24th at RICCIONE, close to Rimini at the adriatic coast.

They have great price's and package for biker's. What do you say about 37Eur/day with Super half board (b-fast, bikepack for the ride, then Bike brunch after the ride & dinner, water & local table wine included)

There are over 20 routes to follow & they offer grouprides with guides

Here are a few links:
www.adlon.it (the hotel)
www.riccionebike.it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did one with:
www.ciclismoclassico.com

it was through Tuscany, florence-sienna, etc. great time, very well run. American company, wife american, husband Italian.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out this bike tour in Italy www.bicitreregioni.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are headed to Italia - June 16-23rd of 2007. Rides geared for serious riders who not only wish to increase fitness levels; but wish to experience Italia post ride. Food, wine, beaches, great Euro-experience!

www.bicitreregioni.com/gallery.html
Quote Reply