Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheelbuilder disc covers?
Quote | Reply
I don't know why, but I can't find out how to order a cover...can anyone help? I went to wheeluilder.com and I can't find them.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder disc covers? [mwright60] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scroll to the bottom of the home page. Their is an ad for a wheelcover on a Zipp wheel. Click on the link there...it will lead you to th ewheel cover page.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder disc covers? [applenutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, found it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Rich, he has them, and makes them to fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do the wheelcovers compare to a regular disc wheel? I know that you get want you pay for, but if the performance of wheelcovers is a fairly significant improvement over spoked wheels (in calm conditions) maybe it is worth consideration.

Gary Clendenin (aka, "The Kid" or "G-man")
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder disc covers? [Garc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do the wheelcovers compare to a regular disc wheel? I know that you get want you pay for, but if the performance of wheelcovers is a fairly significant improvement over spoked wheels (in calm conditions) maybe it is worth consideration.

This subject has been beat to death on ST, do some searches you'll find some good stuff on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in this myself, but don't have the time or patience to search the posts as has been suggested. If by chance you do the legwork, would you mind sharing what you found?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder disc covers? [1K Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a quick scan of the archives. In a nutshell the consensus seems to be that you get pretty good "bang for your buck" with wheelcovers vs. the real disc wheel. Some who have tried both have only noticed only slightly better performance with disc vs. spoked with cover. For about $80 it seems like a worthwhile investment. I think I am going to give them a try.

One disadvantage I can see is that sometimes you don't know until the morning of the race whether the conditions are suitable for a disc wheel. Some wheelcovers (particularly the one from Wheelbuilder) requires the removal of your cassette, which is an extra thing to deal with on a race morning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for your reply. Are you planning on racing with a cover soon?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder disc covers? [1K Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing IMAZ in April and would like to have the option of a disc wheel if the conditions are favorable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There would have to be some pretty significant winds to make me give up my cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One disadvantage I can see is that sometimes you don't know until the morning of the race whether the conditions are suitable for a disc wheel. Some wheelcovers (particularly the one from Wheelbuilder) requires the removal of your cassette, which is an extra thing to deal with on a race morning.
Only that will never happen so you don't have to worry about it. I live in Oklahoma, did 19 races last year and I haven't removed my cover or my wife's for 1.5 years (when I sold my Renn disc and bought the covers).

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder disc covers? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, removing the cassette is one more thing to do, but if you have the right tools, it takes all of 2 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder disc covers? [ST] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if they can fit a disc cover to a HED 3 Rear? I'd love to have the option of running a disc, but I wouldn't want to run it on my spoked wheels (since they're clinchers) since most races, I run my Hed 3 in front and it's a tub. I also like to keep my spoked wheels (training wheels) uncovered, since I' getting back into racing criteriums on a regular basis this year, and would like to save the effort.

Adam

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder disc covers? [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are wind conditions where a disc is unsafe. I believe at 06 Canadian Duathlon championships, the only significant injury/crash was a result of someone riding a disc, and getting blown into another cyclist (from the 70km/h gusts) who ditched it and broke his wrist.

Adam

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply