Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Locations
Quote | Reply
Over the last few years, I've noticed some IM locations that I don't recall from 10 years ago. For example, Arizona and Wisconsin, those are newer locations right? And then there was Utah which seemed to only be there a couple of years. So how does this work? Are there permanent locations and temporary locations?

El (I really am the Devil) Diablo
Last edited by: El Diablo: Mar 4, 07 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: IM Locations [El Diablo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, 10yrs ago, I think IMC was the only IM in North America besides Hawaii.
In 1997, IMNZ, IMOZ, IM Lanzarote, IM Europe, IM Switzerland, IM Canada, IM Hawaii were the only IM races in the world, if I remember well...Japan was a no go that year I believe
Quote Reply
Re: IM Locations [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was IM Switzerland actually IM Switzerland by then, or was it Euroman?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Locations [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok fine, not 10 years, my point is... there appear to be some locations that come and go. Is there a permanent and temporary list? Or are they just expanding to the best locations for their business?

El (I really am the Devil) Diablo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]... Or are they just expanding to the best locations for their business?[/reply]

I think that would be it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least in North America, the locations have been determined by Ironman North America who organizes all the races except for the new IM Louisville. Anticdotally, it has seemed like they usually like to strike a deal with a city for 5 years, then renew it for another 5 years if everyone's happy (IMNA, host city and athletes). The exception has been Utah which obviously didn't work out and that event was moved to Coeur d'Alene after only one year in Utah (2002 I think). Penticton, Lake Placid and Panama City have apparently worked well and have stayed put for awhile (25 years for Penticton, not sure about the others). I think Arizona and Coeur d'Alene are still in their first 5 year cycles with IMNA while Madison is now in its second 5 year deal.

I'm sure I'm off a tad in there somewhere - but that's the jist of it.
Last edited by: Iron Buckeye: Mar 4, 07 17:30
Quote Reply
Re: IM Locations [Mr. Cleetus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in 1997, it was definitely IM Switzerland already with Kona slots.
In 1996, it was called Euroman and didn't have slots yet.
Quote Reply