Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does a carbon frame make noise?
Quote | Reply
I just got a new Trek Equinox 9.9 but the noise coming from the rear cassette is driving me NUTZ. The derailleur seems to be working fine, and it's not really a shifiting issue, but when I'm spinning on my trainer it seems like I can hear every single cog hit the chain.

Is this normal for a carbon frame to amplify all the noise coming from the back end? Or do you all think this is something that is wrong with the back end of my bike?

Can you help?!!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Does a carbon frame make noise? [Tri tri again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello

From what you are describing it sounds like your indexing is off.

Eric

Eric - "Train Smart, Race Smart, Finish Strong"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
..what Eric said.

- try using friction shifting to adjust.

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Carbon frame noise.. more info [ejchet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but maybe I didn't describe the noise accurately enough. The noise happens regardless of what gear I am in... as I look down at the cassette while I'm spinning, it seems as though there is a 'wobble' in the cassette itself. That can't be good, but then I wondered if it wasn't the flexing of the bike and trainer caused by my body weight as I spin.

However...

Just now, when I was lubing the chain (again) to see if that was the issue, I could hear the chain 'click' once with each revolution of the cassette... as though it wasn't seating itself on the cassette properly in one spot. Ugh! This is driving me crazy! Back to the shop I go... third time is a charm... I wish they would get it dialed in!!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon frame noise.. more info [Tri tri again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the cassette tight? Can you move it back and forth with your hands? Sounds like a loose cassette - perhaps you didn't place the appropriate spacer behind the cassette. Something to check.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unlike many aluminium frames, carbon frames generally do not amplify mechanical noises.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply