Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cycling peaks question
Quote | Reply
This may be a dumb question, but help would nevertheless be appreciated.

Downloaded cycling peaks to use with my powertap. when I set up new user, it asked me where the training device port is (it obviously assumes it is hooked into a serial port). But, the powertap comes with a USB connection. So, now when I try to download training info, it says it can't find the device.

How do I get it to recognize that it is plugged into a USB port?

Thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: cycling peaks question [sbrsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a dumb question and one I couldn't answer myself. I've had similar issues with Computrainer hook-ups. I'm looking forward to hearing someone's solution.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Connect your PT unit to the cradle, and plug it into a USB port. Then turn on the PT by hitting a button. In the main cycling peaks page, click (in the upper left hand corner under "Navigation") "Cycling Peaks WKO+ Home"

Then in the upper right hand corner under "Application Settings" click on the box next to "Training Device Port" and select the Com port that says "USB Serial Device" next to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went through this last week. I had a list of about 10 different com ports so I just did trial and error until i found the right one, It was number 5 for me. Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: cycling peaks question [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PS if you plug into a different usb port next time, you may have to change this setting again.
Quote Reply
Re: cycling peaks question [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the ideas, but tried it and it did not work. Set it to the one that says USB, still didn't work. tried all of them one by one (there are 16), still didn't work.

Any other ideas? This is very frustrating. Who still uses com ports (other than computrainer and obviously powertap)?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you able to connect with the power agent software?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may need to download special usb drivers as described here:

http://www.saris.com/...AQ.aspx#Softwarefaq8
(You would get the drivers from here:http://www.saris.com/poweragentDownload.aspx)

To update the driver:
  1. Make sure your Indoor Cycle or PowerTap computer is plugged into a USB port, and the bike computer screen is reading HOST.
  2. Click on the Start Menu.
  3. Right-click on My Computer.
  4. Click on Manage. This will open a Computer Management window.
  5. In the left panel, click Device Manager.
  6. In the right panel, right-click on the USB or Serial device that is marked with a yellow question mark or exclamation point.
  7. Click Update Driver.
  8. A wizard will open.
  9. If the wizard first asks whether it can connect to windows update to locate the correct device driver, select "Yes, this time only," and move on to step 11.
  10. If the option to connect to windows update to locate the correct device driver is not available, you must manually download the drivers.
    1. Once the drivers have been downloaded, return to the device manager following steps 1-8 above.
    2. Select "Install from a list or specific location."
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select "Search for the best driver in these locations."
    5. Check "Include this location in the search:"
    6. Click Browse to navigate to the location on your computer where you saved the driver.
    7. When the driver is selected, click OK.
  11. Click Next. This will start the search and install.
  12. When it is finished, you should have a screen that says the driver was successfully installed.
  13. Click Finish to close.
  14. Return to the Device Manager
  15. Check to see that there is no question mark or exclamation point next to any USB serial device.
  16. Expand Ports (COM and LPT) by clicking the + to the left.
  17. In this list, you should see a USB serial port with a COM number next to it. This indicates that the correct driver is installed.
  18. Your PowerAgent should now recognize and download from the computer.

Quote Reply
Re: cycling peaks question [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I understand the issue you don't have to download the file on the CT - it is already there on your hard drive in your CT file. Open up your CP application and just paste it in. I admit to being a little frustrated one nite before I figured it out.

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it works best when I turn the power on the computer unit before latching it into the cradle. Make sure you hear a good click. Sometimes the computer unit will read "host" and still not be latched in all of the way.

Also, I had to download the USB drivers from the saris website.

Hope this helps.

Fooshee
Quote Reply