Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To the Docs - Strep B - how long til I can swim?
Quote | Reply
Hi guys and gals

I'm 36 hours into the antibiotic and I still am bothered by the rash when I shower and wear tighter clothing. Does it need to be gone entirely before I can test the skin in chlorine?

This is putting a major dent in the swim training. Any advice? thanks

Also, how long is the incubation period before the symptoms arrive? I caught my six year old drinking out of my cup the day before I found out I had it :(
Last edited by: gimpy: Mar 3, 07 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: To the Docs - Strep B - how long til I can swim? [gimpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we used to swim as soon as we weren't contagious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is your infection? Throat? Skin? Strep B mixed with a synergistic infection = necrotizing fasciitis (or the dreaded "flesh eating bacteria") just to scare you some. Also, depends a little if your antibiotic is bactericidal or static.

Re: To the Docs - Strep B - how long til I can swim? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof, in a nutshell, scarlet fever. So it's the throat, which is going away now that I started erythromycin (if I don't start throwing up that stuff pretty soon - it is killing my stomach) So nothing as glamorous as "flesh eating" bacteria. but I do believe Dr said bacterial nonetheless.

I have a range of strange allergies and some antibiotics are among them - penicillin, clindamycin (I apologize for my spelling) Took the Z Pack for an ear infection a month ago and it was close to a week and a half before my hearing came back - and that was after I finished the medicine, so we opted not to do that here.

How long is the incubation period? I'm concerned for my 6 year old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Incubation period is around 3 days if I remember. Odd that you can "tolerate" e-mycin and not clindamycin and issues with a Z-pak (azithromycin). As you can likely tell by the names, they are very similar drugs. As usual, a probiotic (i.e. yogurt, etc.) can be helpful for those sensitive to effects of abx. I'd swim personally, but stay away from the kids still.

Quote | Reply
BTW, it's almost certainly Strep A. Strep B is a vaginosis.
Also, Zithromax (Azithromycin) is lousy for ear infections, since more than half of Pneumoncocci and most H. flu are resistant. And, even when successful, the fluid can persist for days to months. But, it usually does cover Strep, although some strains in the East are resistant. The coverage of strep is the same for erythromycin as azithro--exactly the same and the azithro has a MUCH longer half-life, so it can be taken for a much shorter time.

If you're not allergic to Cephalosporins, you should use them. Allergies to cephalosporins are usually to the individual molecules, not the entire class, like penicillins. Vantin (cefpodoxime) is available as a generic and twice daily for 5 days is adequate therapy.

You are usually contagious for 24-48 hours after starting. You can return to activity when you are feeling better, but start a little slowly the first day or two.

INcubation is 1-7 days, but it is usually 24-48 hours. So, from 24-48 hours after starting, another few days until she is clear. BUT, scarlet fever is just a strep that makes you red. It can be mild or severe, just like non-scarlet fever producing strep.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply